Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Can't figure out how to Sync an iPad!! (Read 34662 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Can't figure out how to Sync an iPad!!
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Hello, Brandy.

The short answer is that you are stuck and if what you say about your hardware is correct, there is no solution.

Apple has thoroughly locked up iOS.  In particular, Safari bookmarks are only available via iCloud, which requires a recent OS X, which requires a 64-bit processor, which some 2007 or so Mac models do not have.

The only practical way out is to abandon Safari bookmarks, and use a bookmarking service such as Pinboard, or a different browser such as Google Chrome, although I'm not sure that Chrome still runs on a 32-bit Mac either.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Brandy
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
How would I go about syncing my Safari bookmarks when I have:
iPad Mini2 - OS 8.3
Mac Mini - OS X 10.6.8

My Mac does not have iCloud.
I cannot upgrade my mini any further, I would have to buy a new one in order to be au current.

IP Logged

geof
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Hopefully, in the near future they will have that app available on iPad.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
jennifersmith0 wrote on Dec 26th, 2012 at 10:52am:
I'd like to also have my iPad synced automatically as well.
Hello, Jennifer.  You're well on your way.

Because Safari on the iPad is inside Apple's walled garden, you must use Apple's iCloud to sync your bookmarks with it.  Because there is only one Mac involved, there is no use for Dropbox in your situation.

First we need to figure out where you are with iCloud…

Click in your menu:  ▸ System Preferences.  Under Internet & Wireless, click iCloud.  Is the checkbox for Safari switched on?

On your iPad, activate the Settings app, then in the left sidebar select iCloud.  In the right sidebar, is Safari switched on?

If both are switched on, you're done.  Your iPad should already have the bookmarks you managed in BookMacster.

If only one is switched on, or if neither is switched on, you first need to consider the bookmarks currently on your iPad.

• In Safari on your iPad, you should delete any bookmarks which are already on your Mac, or which you want to discard.  If all of the bookmarks currently on your iPad are either redundant with your Mac or not wanted, simply select and delete all bookmarks.

• If iCloud-Safari was switched on, wait 20 minutes to make sure they get cleared out of iCloud too.

• Switch on that iCloud-Safari checkbox on your Mac or iPad, whichever was off.  If both were off, switch on one, wait 20 minutes, then switch on the other one.  In either case, Apple will ask you to confirm your action.  Click Merge.

• After 20 minutes, or less, your iPad should have the same bookmarks as Safari and Chrome on your Mac.

To summarize, you are using iCloud to sync between Safari/iPad and Safari/Mac, while using BookMacster to sync between Safari/Mac and Chrome/Mac, and also to sort, organize and manage your bookmarks.

Let us know if you have any trouble.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

jennifersmith0
Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I'm a little confused and can't seem to find anything that directly gives instruction on how to do this.
I have a MacBookPro using two browsers (Safari & Chrome) and I have a third gen iPad with Safari and Dropbox installed.
I set up my MBP using the tutorial and have my sync working pretty good between safari and chrome. But, I'd like to also have my iPad synced automatically as well. But, I'm reluctant to just start clicking boxes to try and make it work. I need more direction than what I can find. I guess I'd like to sync by using dropbox but I'm not presently configured in BookMacster to do that and I'm unsure how to go about it. And I don't know how to get Safari on my iPad to recognize the BookMacster sync file.
Any direction given is appreciated.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Which advertising do you mean?  I'll fix it.

(Sorry, you'll have to describe where you read this because we don't allow forum users to post links due to spam craziness.)

Actually, though, as implied in my original reply, I consider syncing into Safari instead of having a separate iOS app to be a feature, not a shortcoming.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

geod
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Well, yeah... I already figured that out while waiting for a reply...   Don't you think you guys ought to be more straight-forward about this in your come-on advertising?  Sync to your devices?   Sad

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:21am
Print Post  
geod wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:02am:
Help says "download BookMacster to you additional MAC's", but how do I download it to an iPad 3?
Good question, geod.  The answer is: You don't.  There is no BookMacster for iPad at this time.  Which makes it very easy to configure  Smiley

Instead, BookMacster syncs to Safari on your Mac and lets iCloud do the lifting to your iPad.

Configure BookMacster with Safari as a Client, and set up Sync or manually export to Safari.  Then, switch on iCloud bookmarks syncing on both devices.

To switch on iCloud bookmarks syncing on your Mac,

• Click in the menu:  ▸ System Preferences.
• Click the iCloud pane
• Switch on the Bookmarks checkbox.

I recommend waiting about 20 minutes for iCloud to finish doing its thing.  Unfortunately, Mac OS X doesn't provide any indication of when iCloud is working.

To switch on iCloud bookmarks syncing on your iPad,

• Activate the Settings application.
• Click the iCloud tool
• Switch on the Bookmarks checkbox.

In BookMacster's Help Book, there is a new page which explains the ins and outs of syncing with other services, and gives a couple examples.

Let us know if you have any trouble.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:30pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

geod
Can't figure out how to Sync an iPad!!
Apr 2nd, 2012 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Just setting up BookMacster.  Got bookmarks synced on my desktop system, but I can't find anything about how to get it to my iPad & iPhone!  Help says "download BookMacster to you additional MAC's", but how do I download it to an iPad 3?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint