Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Safari Favorites Bar (Read 8495 times)
Andrew
Re: Safari Favorites Bar
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
First, download and install the app you want.   Note that if you have purchased a license for Markster, this will be recognized when you "Purchase" a license for the new app, giving you either a free license for Smarky or Synkmark, or an upgrade discount if you want BookMacster.

To switch from Markster to Smarky or Synkmark

• Export your bookmarks to Safari.
• Quit Markster.
• Launch Smarky or Synkmark.
• For Synkmark, click "Create Empty Document" and then File > Import from only > Safari.
• After everything looks, good, trash Markster.

To switch from Markster to BookMacster, you can transfer bookmarks like that, or you can open your Markster document in BookMacster, and rename it to prevent confusion.  To get to the Markster document, ⌘-click the title bar of the document that is created by default in BookMacster, and navigate up one directory, to ~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster/, and open the file named Markster.bkmslf.  The you can File > Rename it.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Ah, I see.  So the bookmarks in the Favorites Bar are not disappearing, they are just being moved.

What you are seeing is expected behavior for Markster.  I'll explain…

Our other three apps (BookMacster, Synkmark, Smarky) are designed to regularly sync with Safari.  Smarky has its own Favorites Bar, as does BookMacster (after you add Safari as a client) and Synkmark (after you add Safari as a browser).  So when you import from Safari to Smarky, Synkmark or BookMacster, the bookmarks in Safari's Favorites Bar appear in the Favorites Bar in Smarky, Synkmark or BookMacster.  And when you export from Smarky, Synkmark or BookMacster to Safari, the bookmarks in the Favorites Bar in Smarky, Synkmark or BookMacster appear in the Favorites Bar in Safari.

Markster is for a different usage style.  The idea behind Markster is that you are not going to use the Favorites Bar, Bookmarks menu, or any of the built-in bookmarks in Safari, and you don't like that structure anyhow.  Instead, you'll create your own folders, or not, in "free form".  You access bookmarks in Markster directly, using the menu bar status item (menulet), global keyboard shortcut, or Dock menu. 

In Markster, the menu items File > Import and File > Export are provided as utilities which you would use rarely.  The "losing" of the Favorites Bar identity actually occurs earlier, when the bookmarks are imported to Markster.

There are two ways to resolve this issue.

1.  If you will rarely want to export to Safari, and like the free-form and global bookmarks access provided by Markster, then you should continue using Markster, and do this when exporting to Safari:

• Create a folder in Markster named "Favorites" (or whatever you want).
• Move your "favorite" bookmarks into this "Favorites" folder.
• Export to Safari.
• Activate Safari.
• Click in the menu: Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks.  The "Favorites" folder will appear in the outline.
• Move the bookmarks from the "Favorites" folder into the Favorites Bar.
• Delete the now-empty "Favorites" folder.

2.  If you want to regularly sync with Safari, for example, so you'll have the same bookmarks in Safari on iOS devices via iCloud, then you should trash Markster, download and use one of our other apps instead.  If you have purchased a Markster license, the "crossgrade" to Smarky or Synkmark will be free; the "upgrade" to BookMacster is several dollars.

This business of having four different apps for three different purposes, and BookMacster which does it all, is new for us.  If you think that something in our Bookmarks Manager Selection Guide, or anywhere else on the internet, did not properly explain the different capabilities of the different apps, let us know and we'll try to make it better!
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2014 at 6:27pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Andrew
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 7:24am
Print Post  
Thanks for getting back to me. This is what happens:
My Safari bookmarks include a number of bookmarks in the Favorites Bar.  I do an import into Markster and make a few changes (but not to the Favorites Bar bookmarks).  I export back into Safari (using a normal export) and in Safari the bookmarks are no longer in the Favorites Bar, which is now empty.  The bookmarks now appear at the end of my list of other bookmarks, both in Safari and in Markster.  It seems as if Markster does not 'recognise' the Favorites Bar.  Unless I am doing something wrong ...
Thanks

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Hello, Andrew.

Thank you for contacting us.

A normal export from Markster will make the destination look like the source.  In this case, it will make your Favorites Bar in Markster's content look like your Favorites Bar in Safari.  If there are bookmarks in your Favorites Bar in Markster that are not in the Favorites Bar in Safari, they will be deleted.

If you don't want existing unmatched items to be deleted, note that when you click in the menu: File > Export to > Safari, it gives you a choice of either normal or overlay – do not delete any existing items.  I think that choosing overlay will therefore do what you want.

But I've assumed a few things.  Let me know if I didn't get it.  You may or may not have a Favorites Bar in Markster's content.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Andrew
Safari Favorites Bar
Jun 27th, 2014 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hello.  I've just started using Markster.  When I import bookmarks from Safari into Markster and then re-export them back into Safari (after making a few changes in Markster), any bookmarks that I had in Safari in the Favorites bar before the import disappear after the export.  Am I doing something wrong?  Many thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint