Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Moving to new machine (Read 5266 times)
fg
Re: Moving to new machine
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks, moving just that file and folder worked great!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Moving to new machine
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Hello, dg.

Well, the easiest way is to just use Apple Migration Assistant which will migrate your bookmark data along with all of your other data.  But if you want to start with a "clean" macOS user account, here is the procedure:

Step 1.  Copy to your new Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster (a folder)

By default, your .bmco file(s) are in there, in a subfolder named Collections.  But BookMacster allows you to put .bmco files anywhere, so if you are in the 1% of users who may have .bmco files elsewhere for some reason, copy those to your new Mac also.

This would be a good time to house-clean any old .bmco files you are not using.  Any files with ~ or # suffixed to their names are files migrated from old data models, and corrupt files, respectively.  After verifying that they have old modification dates, discard them.

Step 2.  Depending on which of our apps you have, copy

~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.BookMacster.plist (a file)
or
~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Markster.plist (a file)
or
~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Synkmark.plist (a file)
or
~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Smarky.plist (a file)

Step 3.  Download and install our app into /Applications.  (This is Step 3 because if you run our app before copying the files in steps 1 and 2, it will create new empty files which will be a chore to get rid of.)

Step 4.  If you had syncing configured, launch our app.  This should start our syncing agent, BkmxAgent.  To verify that BkmxAgent is running, click in the application menu: Show Syncing Status and read what it says near the top.  When done, as always, you should quit our app for syncing to begin.

[This answer was updated 2020-09-24 to reflect recent versions of our apps and macOS.]
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2020 at 3:40pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

fg
Moving to new machine
Jan 23rd, 2015 at 5:40am
Print Post  
I'm moving to a new machine, what is the best practice for moving my bookmark shelves?
Do I just move the .bkmslf files?

Should I move anything else from the
/Library/Application Support/BookMacster
directory?

(I do not want to use Migration Assistant)

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint