Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) BookMacster window hidden (quasi-background state) (Read 23504 times)
Neurokraft
Re: BookMacster window hidden (quasi-background state)
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 4:01am
Print Post  
Following a similar hunch, I had earlier disabled Moom, but to no avail. Given the interesting background info you provided, I started closing Status Items left and right while test-opening BookMacster each time. I found that after I closed a number of programs of any type, not necessarily Status Items, BookMacster began working again. I could then open perhaps just one more program and BookMacster would’t work when reopened. However, if BookMacster was already open and working, I could open lots of programs and BookMacster would continue to work… until it was closed and opened again. While I have not tested the Guest account, quitting the SwitchResX Daemon had no effect in and of itself. The Mac has 16 GB RAM and Activity Monitor reports quite low Memory Pressure. Other apps continue to purr along fine in this configuration even when running a 4 GB VM, which I had shut off for all my testing. Thanks for the excellent support. I hope this feedback helps in some way.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the Trouble Zip, Neurokraft.

It indicates that you've had a few crashes with BookMacster, one of them today and one last week.  I fixed the bug which was causing that crash, for the next version of BookMacster, but I don't think this is related to the issue you are seeing.

I had a couple users report a similar issue during the past year.  Both users were power users who had a lot of system extensions and hacks installed.  I even opened a support incident with Apple, but the Apple engineer could not figure it out either.  Then, both users reported that the issue disappeared after they upgraded to macOS 10.12 Sierra.

I see that have been using 10.12, and don't see evidence of any system extensions or hacks in your Trouble Zip, except for SwitchResX, which is injecting code into BookMacster.  So I found and installed SwitchResX, and relaunched BookMacster a few times after changing some SwitchResX settings, but did not have any trouble opening document windows.

At your convenience, please log into a clean Macintosh user account, and see if BookMacster works as expected with File > New Bookmarkshelf.  Also, think about if you have installed any apps which might be considered system extensions or hacks since the last time that BookMacster worked properly.

Let us know what you find, and we'll continue.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Neurokraft
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
A couple more notes:

•      The Dock icon menu includes the bookmarks from the open Bookmarkshelf.
     •      Opening another Bookmarkshelf does not show any other windows, so it seems unrelated to the document files themselves.

I've sent the output file from the Trouble Zipper.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Hello, Neurokraft.  Thank you for contacting us.

The behavior you describe could be normal, up to the point where creating a New Boookmarkshelf did not work.  This is because BookMacster is document-based, it is possible to have no .bkmslf document windows open.

But File > New Bookmarkshelf should definitely show a little dialog in the center of your screen, and then move on from there.  My next suggestion would be to reinstall the app, but you've done that.

Try File > Open Recent >, although that may be empty due to the Reset and Start Over….

If you know how, look in the Console to see if there are any clues, or maybe just run our Trouble Zipper and send us the data because it will pick up all of that, and more.  Maybe I can find some clues.  To run Trouble Zipper, click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Neurokraft
BookMacster window hidden (quasi-background state)
Oct 26th, 2016 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
BookMacster 2.2.15 on macOS 10.12 is open with Dock icon and menu visible, however only the Inspector window is displayed.

• The Mini Search can also be opened.
  • All the items in the Bookmarks and Windows menus are disabled.
  • App Exposé does not show any other windows.
  • Clicking Show All Windows from the Dock icon does not show any other windows.
  • The Dock icon menu includes the text (BookMacster is in background.).
  • The Preference to Launch in Background is unchecked.
  • Creating a new Bookmarkshelf does not show any other windows.
  • The Restart and Start Over feature does not fix it.
  • Replacing the app with a fresh copy of the same version from the DMG does not fix it.

After all that, have I missed something super simple?

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint