Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Constant "A signal from Safari..." messages (Read 6261 times)
rjb
Re: Constant "A signal from Safari..." messages
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
OK - I'm sure this would've been clearer to me if I'd read through *all* the documentation, but the syncing thing has always been a bit hazy for me.

I appreciate the clarification, and sorry for my misunderstanding.

thanks!
rich

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up, rjb.

rjb wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:58pm:
Yes, saw that - so just so I understand; you're saying I should only have Bookmacster running when I want to do maintenance?

Yes, because you using BookMacster for syncing.

The sentence "When Bookmacster is quit..." is ambiguous; does this mean it's syncing only when I quit it (in other words when it shuts down), or is it syncing behind the scenes when it's not running?

The latter, in the sense that macOS Agents are watching.  When BookMacster is running, with syncing active, instead of syncing, you get the annoying warning.  We show the warning because, if we attempted a sync, any changes you recently made in BookMacster and changes recently made in browsers (by you, iCloud, or whatever) could step on one another.

So if Bookmacster is not running, will it continue to sync bookmarks which are added in the various browsers?

Yes.

I'll think about that warning message some more.  I think we've re-worded it about 15 times in the last seven years.  It's an epic battle between giving enough information to be convincing versus TLDNR  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rjb
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, saw that - so just so I understand; you're saying I should only have Bookmacster running when I want to do maintenance?  The sentence "When Bookmacster is quit..." is ambiguous; does this mean it's syncing only when I quit it (in other words when it shuts down), or is it syncing behind the scenes when it's not running? 

So if Bookmacster is not running, will it continue to sync bookmarks which are added in the various browsers?

thank you!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Hello again, rjb.  The solution to this should have been displayed in the second paragraph after that message is displayed:

To avoid this in the future:

When BookMacster is quit, its Agents will sync silently.  You should quit BookMacster after you are done configuring, and leave it quit until the next time you want to do bookmarks housecleaning, once a week, month or whatever.  Further, when you begin such housecleaning, click the 'Syncing' button in the toolbar to "pause" syncing.

I just added another sentence to that, for future versions:

For the same reasons, do not include BookMacster in your Login Items.

What's probably happening in your case is that you are using iCloud to sync your Safari bookmarks, and iCloud syncs up whenever it wakes from sleep.  That's fine, as long as BookMacster is not running.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rjb
Constant "A signal from Safari..." messages
Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Hi there -

I get the "A signal from Safari has just indicated that there may be bookmarks changes to import." every time I open up my Macbook from sleep.  How do I need to set Bookmacster so I stop getting this message?  It's really annoying!

thanks!
rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint