Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Chrome does not sync when browser is not running (Read 5108 times)
MercilessFir
Re: Chrome does not sync when browser is not running
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
It must have been a glitch with synching to Chrome.

ty,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 12:28am
Print Post  
MercilessFir wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 11:52pm:
The test was a success.
I think you mean that you reproduced the steps I gave, and it worked for you too.

But, of course, that just means that we haven't figured out how to reproduce the problem yet.

Is it possible when using Chrome's sync between Mac and PC, Bookmacster's update gets clobbered?
Oh, yes.  That's why, by default, before an export, BookMacster checks to see if you are using Chrome's sync and, if so, launches Chrome and does the export via our Chrome extension, so that Chrome can deal with changes from BookMacster and from the cloud.  We call this a coordinated sync.  However, it is possible to switch this behavior off, so you should check and see if you have done that.  Also, merging syncs from two different sources is one of the more thorny problems in computer programming, and it is possible that Chrome sometimes drops one or more of the balls in the process.  I've never spent much time testing how reliable it is, but on the other hand do not recall any complaints so I presume it works pretty good most of the time.

Also,  BookMacster's behavior changed where the app no longer automatically opens the last bookmark shelf file when launching.
There have not been any recent changes to that behavior.  As always, you control whether or not a document opens in the bookmarkshelf's tab: Settings > Open/Save > checkbox Automatically open this document when BookMacster launches.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:08pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MercilessFir
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:15pm:
Hello, Merciless.

That is not expected behavior.  I just retested such an export, and it works for me.  To ensure that I understood you correctly, here is what I did:

• Verify that Chrome is not running.
• Open a .bkmslf document in BookMacster.
• Add a new bookmark with a distinctive name, including the current date and time, to the Bookmarks Bar.
• Click in the menu: File > Export to Chrome.
• Verify that Chrome is still not running (that is, BookMacster did not launch Chrome).
• Launch Chrome.
• Verify that the new bookmark appears in Chrome's toobar.

Some things to check:

• Do you maybe have multiple Person profiles in Chrome?  Are you exporting to the same Person profile that you are later looking at in Chrome?
• Immediately after the export, does a result appear in the Status View at the bottom of the BookMacster window?  It should indicate something like Export ⇢ Chrome (+1 Δ1 ↖0 ↕3 -0) .
• In BookMacster click in the menu: BookMacster > Logs.  One of the last entries should be Will write to Chrome in style 1.  (Style 1 is the quick direct style which is used when Chrome is not running.)  Is that there?  If not, click the Errors tab.  Any recent errors?

The test was a success.  Is it possible when using Chrome's sync between Mac and PC, Bookmacster's update gets clobbered?

Also,  BookMacster's behavior changed where the app no longer automatically opens the last bookmark shelf file when launching.

TIA

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Hello, Merciless.

That is not expected behavior.  I just retested such an export, and it works for me.  To ensure that I understood you correctly, here is what I did:

• Verify that Chrome is not running.
• Open a .bkmslf document in BookMacster.
• Add a new bookmark with a distinctive name, including the current date and time, to the Bookmarks Bar.
• Click in the menu: File > Export to Chrome.
• Verify that Chrome is still not running (that is, BookMacster did not launch Chrome).
• Launch Chrome.
• Verify that the new bookmark appears in Chrome's toobar.

Some things to check:

• Do you maybe have multiple Person profiles in Chrome?  Are you exporting to the same Person profile that you are later looking at in Chrome?
• Immediately after the export, does a result appear in the Status View at the bottom of the BookMacster window?  It should indicate something like Export ⇢ Chrome (+1 Δ1 ↖0 ↕3 -0) .
• In BookMacster click in the menu: BookMacster > Logs.  One of the last entries should be Will write to Chrome in style 1.  (Style 1 is the quick direct style which is used when Chrome is not running.)  Is that there?  If not, click the Errors tab.  Any recent errors?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MercilessFir
Chrome does not sync when browser is not running
Apr 11th, 2017 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Periodically, I manually sync Safari and Chrome bookmarks using BookMacster.  Recently, Chrome bookmarks are not updated with the Browser closed using Export All or Export to Chrome Only.

After opening Chrome and using Export Only would Chrome bookmarks update.

Is this expected behavior?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint