Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Shortcut item in Bookmacster inspector (Read 5925 times)
guy
Re: Shortcut item in Bookmacster inspector
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Thanks very much Jerry - this update works well and all the problems have gone. I'll send you an email with more details later.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Hello again, guy.

Well, we thought we had two methods for import/export of Shortcuts, and when support for one (while Firefox was running) was removed by Mozilla, we thought we still had the other one (while Firefox was not running).  That was until you reported the trouble and I tried it.  It turns out the second method was broken in a recent Firefox revision.  However, that one was repairable, and so 10 minutes ago we published the fix in BookMacster 2.3.1.

I still don't fully understand how your Shortcuts stopped working, because it seems like, although Shortcuts were not being exported from BookMacster 2.3 to Firefox, the Shortcuts which were already in Firefox should still be there.  But it's complicated.  At your convenience, please do this:

• Upgrade to BookMacster 2.3.1 from the Beta channel, as explained here.
• Open your .bkmslf document.
• Look at the shortcuts in some of your bookmarks.  You can see them by either (1) switching the third column heading in the Content view to Shortcut or (2) examine a bookmark in the Inspector.
• Quit Firefox if it is running.
• In BookMacster click in menu: File > Export to Firefox.
• See if these shortcuts work in Firefox.

You might want to check and see if those Shortcuts are in Firefox, before and/or after the export.  What we call Shortcuts are called Keywords in Firefox.  To see one,

• Click in Firefox' menu: Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks.  A Library window will appear.
• In that Library, navigate to and select a bookmark expected to have a Keyword.
• At the bottom of the window, under the Tags field, click the little square "v" button.  Surprise, several more fields appear, including Keyword.

We had been working on fixing Firefox so that the other method (while Firefox is running) will be restored too, but that requires submitting code patches to Mozilla and getting them accepted.  We plan to get back on that effort next week.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up, guy.  For Safari, I think it's the autocomplete in the address bar, and it should still be working.  Safari is pretty smart about remembering where you've been.  But it doesn't use those keywords in any way.

For Firefox, it's not a permanent change, and it looks like we can fix it in a day or so.  I'll be back later.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

guy
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Thanks for the clarification Jerry. Re Safari it must have been the cache rather than a shortcut. I do find this bad news since shortcuts made my life a lot easier and work quicker. Is this a permanent change or is this really to work with a Mozilla policy (that may later alter)? You say "while Firefox is running" - but quitting the browser before an export doesn't appear to change things.

Anyway, can you or anyone on the forum suggest a way of organising bookmarks which works as well and as quickly? I suspect I've got quite a bit of re-organizing ahead of me.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Hello, guy.

Thank you for contacting us.  Although BookMacster 2.3 is no longer able to export shortcuts to Firefox while Firefox is running, I think the ones that are there should still work.  I shall check this out.

How do you use a shortcut in Safari?  I didn't know Safari supported shortcuts.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

guy
Shortcut item in Bookmacster inspector
Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Hi. For some reason my the shortcuts (entered via Bookmacster) for sites I use a lot have ceased to work. I'm on macOS 10.12.4, latest firefox (but safari is also a problem) and BookMacster 2.3.

Any suggestions as to cause or solution?

g

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint