Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic BookMacster forgets current bookshelf file (Read 3903 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster forgets current bookshelf file
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Playing with Dropbox should be better when we publish BookMacster version 2.5, in which the .bkmslf document file will be replaced by the .bmco document package.

It should be better in theory, and also, in a bunch of tests we did today, it always worked.

BookMacster version 2.5 will initially be available on our beta channel.  At this time, we've still got a week or more of additional testing.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster forgets current bookshelf file
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Other users have mentioned recently that they are having similar trouble with a .bkmslf file in Dropbox.

Now that Firefox, Chrome and Safari have fairly reliable syncing (Firefox Sync, Sign in to Chrome, iCloud), and since most users have browsers on iOS or Android devices which they want their bookmarks synced to, we recommend that these services be used instead – that is, in this Help Book page, go with Alternative 1 and not Alternative 2.

You could still make a case for the (Dropbox) Alternative 2 if you don't use bookmarks on a mobile device, or if you trust Dropbox more than Mozilla, Google, or Apple.  But it does seem that Dropbox may have changed their behavior recently, and we haven't looked at it yet.  I don't think the extension is getting confused.  I think that maybe Dropbox is deleting the .bkmslf file and replacing it with a copy.  The macOS File Alias system should still allow it to be identified by path, but maybe I'm wrong.  I'll try to do some testing.

Maybe the correct answer is that we should drop Alternative 2.  What would you think of that?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

RMcClure
BookMacster forgets current bookshelf file
Apr 30th, 2017 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Every time I open BookMacster it does not remember the current bookshelf file, which is in Dropbox. This seems to be associated with synching also causing an error because the extension gets confused too. Running BM 2.3.6 mostly on Safari but also Chrome. Latest updated Mac OS.

Anyone got any ideas?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint