Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Is Safari still supported? (Read 8788 times)
DHK
Re: Is Safari still supported?
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
I appreciate your help Jerry. I think we've resolved the issue by deleting the Chrome Extension and re-installing it. Had a minor bump which I finally resolved to be the new Chrome Extension installed but not enabled. Once that was done I think we're all set.

I really appreciate your customer support on this forum, both in the content and the speed of reply. I know of only one other program with such good support... a ham radio logging program. Thanks1

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your persistence, DHK.

•  First of all, verify that you're using a recent version, Synkmark 2.4.3 or later.
•  Activate Google Chrome.
•  Click in the menu: Window > Extensions.
•  Find our BookMacster Sync extension and trash-can it.
•  Quit Google Chrome.
•  Activate Synkmark.
•  Click in the menu: Synkmark > Manage Browser Add-Ons.
•  (Re-)Install the Sync extension into Google Chrome, carefully following the instructions if it tells you that you have multiple profiles.
•  Return to Manage Browser Add-Ons.
•  Quit and relaunch Chrome if it has not already been quit after the re-install.
•  Click the button to Test the extension.
•  If that passes, click the More Tests… button at the bottom and follow those instructions.

As you can see, More Tests… tests whether or not bookmarks change detection is working.

•  Quit Synkmark and try to add a bookmark for real.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Aah... you may be onto something. My change in Chrome didn't show up in Synkmark, but the test from the manage browser extensions panel showed green/ok... what do I test next?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 4:54am
Print Post  
DHK wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 3:05am:
First, I noticed some changes I made in Chrome didn't propagate to Safari.
Ah, the problem may be with Chrome then.  Syncing from Chrome to Safari consists of two steps (1) Chrome to Synkmark, and (2) Synkmark to Safari.  Are new bookmarks from Chrome showing up in Synkmark?

I've also not been able to figure out where the hook into Safari is that you use instead of extensions.
We manipulate the file ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist directly, and watch it for changes.  We also do a few tricks to make it work with iCloud.

There is no way to test it in the manage extensions panel where I learned it wasn't an extension.
Yes, that is true there is nothing to test.  But that is actually a good thing: fewer moving parts Smiley

We have, on average less trouble with Safari than Chrome and Firefox for this reason.  One problem we do see with Safari is when iCloud decides to go on the fritz.  Are you syncing Safari with iCloud?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 3:05am
Print Post  
• In the toolbar, is the Syncing button on, with  green dot in the middle? Yes
• In Preferences > Syncing, is Safari listed and are its checkboxes on? Yes
• Do you leave Synkmark quit except when you are doing bookmarks housecleaning? And again Yes

and last, but not least Smiley

• Why do you think Synkmark is not syncing Safari? First, I noticed some changes I made in Chrome didn't propagate to Safari. I've also not been able to figure out where the hook into Safari is that you use instead of extensions. There is no way to test it in the manage extensions panel where I learned it wasn't an extension.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up, DHK.

There is nothing to install.  Let me ask a few basic questions

• In the toolbar, is the Syncing button on, with  green dot in the middle?
• In Preferences > Syncing, is Safari listed and are its checkboxes on?
• Do you leave Synkmark quit except when you are doing bookmarks housecleaning?

and last, but not least Smiley

• Why do you think Synkmark is not syncing Safari?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I'll reply here so if someone else ever has this problem they'll be able to see a solution (if we find one!) I'm running macOS 10.12.5 and Synkmark 2.4.3. As indicated, I noticed that my Safari bookmarks weren't being synced, and when I went to manage browser extensions I got the error written out in my previous post. You say Safari is not handled by extensions in the error message, but I can't find where to install whatever to get Safari to work with Synkmark.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Hello, DHK.

Thank you for contacting us.

Yes, Safari is still supported.  The reason we have no Safari extension is because (1) the  capabilities of Safari extensions defined by Apple are quite limited, and do not include syncing bookmarks and (2) we've nonetheless figured out how to sync Safari and iCloud bookmarks without using an extension.

Moving on, there can be many reasons why syncing may have stopped.  If you have not fixed it yet, reply here with more information or similarly send us a email.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Is Safari still supported?
Jun 29th, 2017 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
On the Manage Browser Extensions window it says: "Extensions are only for Firefox and Chrome-ish browsers, not Safari". Safari USED to sync for me... Have searched the forum and help and haven't found answer. I'm using Synkmark 2.4.3

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint