Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) iCloud bookmarks unnesting (Read 9507 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: iCloud bookmarks unnesting
Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
We have since identified and fixed some issues with our apps, when using iCloud in macOS 10.11 or 10.12.

Anyone in such a situation, please update to BookMacster, Synkmark or Smarky version 2.5.1 or later, as explained in this new topic.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2018 at 6:07am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jim
Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Jerry,

Thank you very much for the response.  Your suggestion of exporting from Safari to an HTML file was key. After the export/import round-trip I was able to get iCloud synching working again.  I did have an issue with 4 bookmarks from a nested subfolder being duplicated in the root but I was easily able to fix that issue by hand.

I was able to get iCloud synching working between the three Macs and two iOS devices.  I then tried resetting Synkmark to its defaults, importing from Safari to Synkmark, and exporting to Chrome 63.  This appeared to work, but once a change was made and synchronized the same mishmash situation occurred with files and subfolders escaping from their topical folders and appearing in the Bookmarks root.  I cleared iCloud another time and now have iCloud synchronization working again.

I am using Chrome very little since the update to Safari 11.  Since iCloud synching is working I am going to hold off on further changes for the moment.  Once I have more time I will pursue synchronizing to Chrome.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Jim

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Hello, Jim.

Thank you for the detailed and careful report.

Since macOS 10.13.2 was released Wednesday, I suspect that the trouble was triggered by your upgrading to 10.13.2 Friday or earlier Saturday?  I don't know what factor in there could do that, since of course I've been running the 10.13.2 betas and haven't seen any changes in Safari syncing.  But when I upgraded to the 10.13.2 production release this morning, I found that Safari bookmarks syncing just didn't work at all – nothing I did in Safari's Edit Bookmarks showed up in my iPad, until I restarted the Mac again, then all of a sudden it started working.

Now, I was just testing with a dozen bookmarks + folders, so it was easy to manually delete the few disconnected items which resulted from the initial failure to sync.  But, in general, the only sure way is to clear out everything.  iCloud seems to operate only on transactions, with no recourse to ever resync from a single truth.  So, like a checkbook, if any single transaction is ever missed, it will never balance.  For example, imagine one device inserting a new bookmark or subfolder into a folder which another device does not have, or, more commonly,, has a different unique identifier for, so that the folder is not found.  Where will the new bookmark go?  You'll get a mishmash, as you described.

Unfortunately, it is conceivable that, despite our extensive testing and the fact that it works perfectly on our test account, Synkmark is doing something wrong.  So you should keep syncing in Synkmark off, and do not manually export from Synkmark, until you're convinced that changes made in Safari's Edit Bookmarks are getting properly pushed to iCloud and your other devices.  To do that, before clearing out, in Safari, File > Export Bookmarks (to a html file), and then after clearing out, in Safari, File > Import Bookmarks (from that same html file).

I haven't done much testing with macOS 10.12.  I wonder if that's a factor in your case.

Let me know how the third clear-out goes.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:47am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jim
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Jerry,

I have an issue that sounds suspiciously like Steven H's issue.

Synkmark can export to Safari and everything is fine.  However, once a round trip is made to iCloud the folders in the root of Bookmarks go away.  I believe the items in those folders (bookmarks and subfolders) are then placed into the root of the Bookmarks folder. An organized set of topical folders turns into a mishmash of random bookmarks and subfolders.

I have tried the "Rebuilding Safari/iCloud Bookmarks" process several times.  The first time I missed two Reading List items that might have been a problem.  The second time I am as sure as I can be that there were no bookmarks in iCloud or on any device.  I am in the middle of my third iCloud clear out.  This time I may simply export the bookmarks to Safari on my primary Mac and do without synchronization for a while.

I am running Synkmark on three Macs.  All three Macs are using Apple's new #3 protocol to sync to iCloud.  Two of the Macs are running macOS 10.13.2.  One (my primary) is running macOS 10.12.6.  MacOS and Safari are fully updated and patched.  Synkmark is 2.4.12 on all machines.  iOS is fully updated on both devices. I have between 900 and 1000 bookmarks total.

Synkmark synchronizes Safari and Chrome on each of the Macs.  iCloud synchronizes Safari on the three Macs as well as an iPhone and iPad.  I am not synchronizing using Google Chrome or a third party product like Dropbox.  My setup has worked fine for a little over two years.  This craziness started Saturday evening.

I thought you might be interested to know that there is another similar case.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Jim

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
We worked on this issue via email, and it appears to be resolved now.

The cause was probably that both iCloud and Dropbox were being used to sync bookmarks between two Macs, resulting in a Sync Loop.  Not having seen one in a while, I'd forgotten about Sync Loops!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Steven H
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:21am
Print Post  
1) Yes, I'm using 2.4.12

2) I'm definitely deleting all the iOS bookmarks. When I disable syncing, it asks if I want to delete the bookmarks and I always select yes. I also go through the bookmarks and make sure it's empty.

3) Sending the data now.

4) Wow. That Trouble Zipper is a REALLY awesome support tool!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Steven H wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:13am:
I get a 3.
Interesting – you've been upgraded to Apple's new improved bookmarks syncing.

The hard part is that I don't think I can even blame BookMacster. It exports just fine to Safari.  I don't even have syncing on so it's not like it can be breaking anything.
Probably true, although I'm not sure it's impossible for BookMacster to be at fault, particularly if the BookMacster version is earlier than 2.4.12.  iCloud works in strange ways.  You are on BookMacster 2.4.12 or later?

It's when I turn on iCloud syncing on one of my iOS devices that it all goes crazy.
I've trashed iCloud bookmarks dozens of times while during the last couple months, but always found deleting all bookmarks and starting over from scratch to fix everything.  If the misbehavior indeed happens when you switch on iCloud syncing on a iOS device, this implies that the iOS device still has bookmarks in it.  Are you sure you are deleting all bookmarks in iOS devices too?

I should probably also mention that only have about 250 or so bookmarks. It's not like i have thousands. I do have a fairly specific folder structure, but nothing abnormal.
OK.

If you are using BookMacster 2.4.12, I'd like to see if I can reproduce the problem, using your data, on one of my iCloud test accounts.  It is possible that something in your bookmarks is triggering some rare bug in BookMacster or iCloud.  To send me your data,

• Run BookMacster
• Click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper
• For Question X (Extra Extension Tests), answer "No"
• For Question B (Bookmarks), answer "Include Bookmarks"
• In the list which appears, choose "Safari".
• For Question L (Sync Logs), answer "Include Sync Logs"
• For Question D (Documents), answer "Include Documents"
• "Dropbox" me the resulting .zip, as instructed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Steven H
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:13am
Print Post  
I get a 3. The hard part is that I don't think I can even blame BookMacster. It exports just fine to Safari. I don't even have syncing on so it's not like it can be breaking anything. It's when I turn on iCloud syncing on one of my iOS devices that it all goes crazy. I should probably also mention that only have about 250 or so bookmarks. It's not like i have thousands. I do have a fairly specific folder structure, but nothing abnormal.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Hello, Steven.

Thank you for contacting us.  In my experience, after deleting all bookmarks and starting over, things are good.  Ensure that you are using the latest version of BookMacster, 2.4.12.  If not, upgrade, delete all bookmarks and start over again.

If you already had 2.4.12, please run this little test:

• Run the Terminal application (which is in /Applications/Utilities).  A window will open.
• Copy and paste the following command into the Terminal window.  (It is all on one line.)

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print Sync:CloudKitMigrationState" ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

• Hit ‘return’.  I expect that a number: 0, 1, 2 or 3, or possibly a “not found” message will appear on the next line.  What do you get?

(3 means that Apple has migrated your iCloud account to their new protocol.  0 means that your iCloud account is still on the old protocol.  BookMacster should detect this and act appropriately in either case.)

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Steven H
iCloud bookmarks unnesting
Nov 20th, 2017 at 12:58am
Print Post  
I've been having problems with syncing to Safari on my mac and my iOS devices so I decided to delete everything in iCloud, clear it out and start fresh, per this article: http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx/rebuilding-icloud-bookma...

No matter what I do, nothing is working the way it should. I have iCloud syncing off on all my devices. I sync the book marks to Safari on my mac with BookMacster. The bookmarks come in perfectly. Then I turn iCloud syncing on my mac and give it a while to send all the bookmarks to iCloud. When I turn on iCloud syncing on one of my iOS devices, within a minute or so, all the book marks appear on the device but they're in one big long list. There's no organization to them. Almost all of y folders are gone, though a few remain and they look to have ben nested folders (folders that were within other folders). Then, back on safari on the mac, the bookmarks are messed up the same way they are on my iOS device. I've tried every combination of turning on/off iCloud, deleting bookmarks and restoring, that I can think of. There's GOT to be something I'm missing, but I have no clue what it is. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint