Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic iCloud sync problem (Read 2955 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: iCloud sync problem
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Hello, miguel.

Thank you for contacting us.  Indeed, Smarky, Synkmark, Markster and BookMacster go to great lengths to push changes into iCloud.  But Apple has changed the protocol for some users recently, and if you happen to be one of these users, and have not been using version 2.4.12 or later of our app for the last couple weeks, you will get the misbehavior exactly as you have described.

If you have used an earlier version of Synkmark recently, you should first clear out all bookmarks and start over again, as you have described, this time using version 2.4.12 or later.

If you've been using 2.4.12 or later, we need to investigate further.  Please tell us what version of macOS you have, an whether or not you are on the new protocol.  To learn the latter,

• Run the Terminal application (which is in /Applications/Utilities).  A window will open.
• Copy and paste the following command into the Terminal window:

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print Sync:CloudKitMigrationState" ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

• Hit return.  I expect that a number: 0, 1, 2 or 3, or a Does Not Exist message will appear on the next line.  What do you get?

If you prefer, you may send the answers to and we shall handle it privately.

For your information, 0 or Does Not Exist indicates that you are still on iCloud's old protocol.  3 indicates that you are on the new protocol.  1 or 2 are rare; I've never seen a 1 and only seen a 2 momentarily when initially connecting from a new macOS 10.12 user account to a iCloud account which was on the new protocol.

Also, a testing tip, in case you have not already discovered this:  We've seen the delay before Safari bookmark changes appear on other devices vary randomly from 0 to 20 minutes.  You can usually, but not always, coax the changes to appear faster by relaunching Safari on the receiving device.  (To relaunch on a iOS device, activate the app switcher and flick Safari upward to force quit, then tap the Safari icon on your Home screen.)
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2017 at 12:41am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

miguel
iCloud sync problem
Nov 28th, 2017 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Hi,

After having tried clearing all of my Safari bookmarks out and starting over, my impression is that iCloud does not recognize changes to bookmarks initiated by Synkmarks.

What has worked is importing bookmarks from an html file created by Chrome (I'm sure if I created it in Safari it would probably work too). Safari on my Mac pushes out the resultant bookmarks to my iPhone and iPad. But once Syncmarks gets involved and overwrites everything in Safari, those changes are not recognized and not pushed out to my portable Apple devices.

Basically, I am syncing bookmarks between Safari and Chrome on my Mac, utilizing iCloud to sync to my portable devices, and utilizing Chrome to sync bookmarks to Chrome on other devices.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint