Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do I restore reading list to Safari (Read 8384 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: How do I restore reading list to Safari
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Eric Weir wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 11:35pm:
I don't understand exactly how it happened. I meant to delete a single item from the list in Safari, but the entire list disappeared.
As I recall, in Safari, when you perform a secondary click on a Reading List item to show the contextual menu, the next contextual menu item under Remove Item is Clear All Items…  Smiley

After posting here I exported the list from Smarky to a file in Safari format. Not clear how to use it though.
That's not what you want.  Clicking in the menu File > Export to only > Choose File (Advanced) > Choose file format > Safari produces a Bookmarks.plist file which, prior to macOS 10.13, if iCloud-Safari syncing was OFF, you could replace in ~/Library/Safari.  But that is the hard way, and also, with macOS 10.13, that may result in trouble because the file we produce does not have any iCloud data, and in macOS 10.13, that file has iCloud data even if iCloud-Safari syncing is switched off.  Just trash that file.

I will be exporting the list from Smarky directly to Safari.
Yes, that's what you want to do.  Click in the menu: File > Export to only > Safari.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Eric Weir
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 6:10pm:
I presume that you've checked the Reading List in Smarky to verify that the missing items are still there.  If they are not, in Smarky, click in the menu: File > Revert To > Browse all versions… to use the macOS Versions Browser.

Thanks, Jerry.

Actually, I deleted the entire 400-item reading list--ridiculous, I know; it needs radical pruning. I don't understand exactly how it happened. I meant to delete a single item from the list in Safari, but the entire list disappeared. So, the list in Smarky has everything I wanted to save.

After posting here I exported the list from Smarky to a file in Safari format. Not clear how to use it though. When I tried I got the option of "add to the library" or "replace." After indicated "add" the file opened Latexit. At that point I had no idea what to do.

Obviously not critical, as I will be exporting the list from Smarky directly to Safari, but I'm curious how this option would be executed.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
You are correct – commanding Export to Safari in Smarky will copy whatever is in Smarky to Safari.  And, switching off syncing immediately was a good idea, because after a few minutes Smarky would have "imported the deletions".

I presume that you've checked the Reading List in Smarky to verify that the missing items are still there.  If they are not, in Smarky, click in the menu: File > Revert To > Browse all versions… to use the macOS Versions Browser.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Eric Weir
How do I restore reading list to Safari
Jan 25th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I just accidentally deleted a longish reading list from Safari that I'd rather not lose. I opened Smarky. paused syncing, and shut down Safari. I'm not clear about how to go about restoring the reading list from Smarky to Safari.

I want to avoid syncing from Safari to Smarky causing Smarky to lose the reading list. I take it that if I select the reading list in Smarky and issue the Export to Safari, with syncing turned off, it will do the trick.

Please let me know if I am mistaken.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint