Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is there a way to backup Synkmark's database? (Read 6371 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Is there a way to backup Synkmark's database?
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up.  Just to clarify for others…

Synkmark (and Smarky and BookMacster and Markster) have adopted Apple's Auto Save and Versions, which includes Apple's Versions Browser.  It is Apple's Versions Browser which, in turn, uses Apple's Time Machine.  It is the user (you) that adopts Time Machine by procuring a external drive, plugging it in and clicking Use as Backup Disk when asked by macOS.

Things is complicated nowadays.  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Yes, I do use Time Machine, and I'm impressed that you've built Synkmark to use it as well... took a look at the versions, and now I know how to access them if necessary. Thanks so much for the quick, in depth reply. DHK

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, DHK.

Thank you for contacting us.  For recent backups, it's already done for you, because Synkmark has adopted macOS' Versions Browser.  It works as described in this Apple support article.

(Well, except I've noticed a little bug in the Verisons Browser lately.  Sometimes the buttons on the right side old version window don't move out of the way when the window grows.  If that happens, click the left side current version window and the buttons will slide into view.)

Versions Browser goes back as far as your Time Machine disk does if you are using Time Machine.

If you want a more direct, hands-on approach, you can view the document file in Synkmark as in any other macOS document-based app

• Hold down the command key on your keyboard.
• Click the window title (Synkmark.bkmslf or Synkmark.bmco).  A menu of folders will appear.
• In that menu, click the first folder (named BookMacster).  A Finder window will open with the Synkmark.bkmslf or Synkmark.bmco file selected.
• Copy that file to your desired backup location.

The Synkmark.bkmslf or Synkmark.bmco contains all of your bookmarks and folders, and is all you really need for your stated purpose.

One could copy the whole BookMacster folder.  This will also copy your document's settings – what are the browsers, etc. – (Settings-XXX-sql), identifiers which make the first export to a browser faster (Exids-XXX-sql), syncing history (Diaries-XXX-sql)and Logs.  This stuff either does not change very ofren, or is only needed for troubleshooting.

But you may not need to do that either if you are running a Time Machine or other archival backup of your Home folder., as all computer owners should be  Smiley  Prior versions of that whole BookMacster folder (once a day, week or month in the case of Time Machine) should be available in Time Machine or wherever.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DHK
Is there a way to backup Synkmark's database?
Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Once in awhile my database gets a little messed up and I'd like to be able to restore it, and then export all....

Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint