Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Removing Old Websites From Finder Menu Bar? (Read 6322 times)
MrX
Re: Removing Old Websites From Finder Menu Bar?
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry-

I'm glad to hear that I don't have the most bookmarks that you know of. . . I sometimes wonder if I am just a wee bit anal-retentive when it comes to this sort of thing.  Embarrassed

I'm happy enough with my current system. . . I wouldn't want to have to open up multiple documents to access the bookmark I need.  I have my bookmarks in alphabetical order with folders within folders, which explains the relatively large number of subfolders that I didn't bother counting aside from the main folders.  It's easy and it doesn't take any time to locate the bookmark that I want to use.

I began using a bookmarks manager many years ago. (URLM PRO until it stopped being actively supported by its developer. . .)  I had to do so because when the web browser reached around 200 bookmarks, it stopped being able to alphabetize them.  Not Good!  I've always tended to save the URLs of websites I think will revisit at some point because I hate not being able to find a website I really want/need to visit again.

Thanks for reminding me about the glossary. . . I'll do my best to remember to use it when I post here in the future, as I know that using the correct terminology can make a big difference when attempting to communicate re tech support issues.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 1:47am
Print Post  
MrX wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 12:30am:
My URL stats show 2445/12009.  Shocked I assume that the latter number is the total number of bookmarks
Yes

I don't know what the first number is counting
total number of folders

I would not be surprised if I have over 12,000 bookmarks.  I am something of a bookmark hoarder but I also do my best to arrange them so they are easy to find.  I realize that this is a lot of bookmarks, maybe even a BookMacster record-setting number of bookmarks.
No, I've seen 25,000, maybe more.

If you think that I should change how I have the access to my bookmarks set-up, I'd appreciate hearing what you would suggest and how I would go about do it.
Well, if you like to have only a few items in the Menu Extra menu, and having to click on that "mother of all" "Bookmarks" folder, that's fine.  An alternative would be to group those 215 subfolders into 5-15 categories and instead have 5-15 "mother" folders at the root instead of this one.  The brain is good at considering about 10 things at once.  That is why my application menus have 5-15 items.

Admittedly, my grasp of the inner-workings of BookMacster is not very good. . . And I have spent time in the past perusing the instructions.  I struggle with some of the app-specific terminology, among other things. . .
Well, you don't need to understand more than you need.  Some of the terminology in the Help Book links to the glossary.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I created the "Bookmarks" folder because I have a total of 215 subfolders.  One of those subfolders, "Most Used," has another 9 subfolders in it. I have it at the top of the list since I access those subfolders so often.

My URL stats show 2445/12009.  Shocked I assume that the latter number is the total number of bookmarks; I don't know what the first number is counting. . . I would not be surprised if I have over 12,000 bookmarks.  I am something of a bookmark hoarder but I also do my best to arrange them so they are easy to find.

I realize that this is a lot of bookmarks, maybe even a BookMacster record-setting number of bookmarks.  I've been thinking of splitting them up, which I seem to recall you suggesting I do some time ago.

If you think that I should change how I have the access to my bookmarks set-up, I'd appreciate hearing what you would suggest and how I would go about do it. Admittedly, my grasp of the inner-workings of BookMacster is not very good. . . And I have spent time in the past perusing the instructions.  I struggle with some of the app-specific terminology, among other things. . .

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Your New Bookmark Landing is the destination for bookmarks which are added using the BookMacsterize bookmarklet (a legacy feature which you probably are not and should not be using) and the BookMacster Button extensions in Firefox, Vivaldi, Opera or Chrome.  Also, your Landing becomes the top choice in Add <page-you-are-viewing-in-browser> to… submenu in BookMacster's Menu Extra.  It has (Your Landing) suffixed to its name.  (The choices below that are your ten most recently-used destination.)

Changing your Landing would not have caused any bookmarks, specifically, those four old bookmarks, to move up into your Root.  Either you did that manually, or maybe they were there for years and you never noticed them until you consolidated your folder structure and put everything else which was at Root into BOOKMARKS > DROP BASKET, which caused them to move up into view.

If Root has only one this subfolder, BOOKMARKS, then the menu under the Menu Extra would be very short, and you need to drill into BOOKMARKS to find anything.  That's fine, if that's what you like.  More commonly, one would have a dozen or so folders at Root, so that those dozen or so folders would show up immediately when you click the Menu Extra.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry-

Your instructions did the trick.  The four bookmarks were at the very bottom document window, outside the subfolders. (All bookmarks are in "Bookmarks" and then there are myriad titled subfolders inside it. . .)

At some point I had changed the Bookmark Landing to a folder named "Drop Basket" so that bookmarks that aren't placed in an existing subfolder or new one have a home, usually temporarily. Did that change cause the behavior I wanted to fix?

Document Structure:  ROOT/BOOKMARKS/DROP BASKET/SUBFOLDERS

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Hello, MrX.

I think you are referring to BookMacster's Menu Extra:

The bookmarks shown in that Menu Extra reflect the Content of any open documents.  To see what I mean…

• At the bottom of that menu, click Show BookMacster.  A document window (title ending in .bkmslf or .bmco) will appear.
• Click on that document window, to activate it.
• Click the menu: Bookmarks and look at the menu items.
• If the third menu item, Show Folders (Outline Mode) has a checkmark to its left, skip to the next step.  Otherwise, click that menu item, so that it does have a checkmark to its left.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by Directly under Bookmarks in the drop-down menu.  Maybe there is a folder in your Content which is named Bookmarks?

Anyhow, those four bookmarks are somewhere in that document window, possibly inside of a folder or subfolder.  To delete them, select them and hit the delete key.

To make new bookmarks visible in that menu, if you mean bookmarks which you add to BookMacster directly, in the document's tab Settings > General, you can change your New Bookmark Landing to Root.  But I'm not sure that's what you mean.  Please clarify if I am wrong.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Removing Old Websites From Finder Menu Bar?
Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I access BookMacster from the Finder Menu Bar icon almost exclusively.  Directly under Bookmarks in the drop-down menu there is a list of 4 rather old bookmarks that I would like to get rid of. . . Nothing current has been added in recent memory.

How do I delete the old bookmarks and begin having newer bookmarks appear in the drop-down menu?  Any idea why this is happening?

OS Sierra
BookMacster 2.4.12

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint