Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Bookmarks ends in the root folder in Safari (Read 6658 times)
Luis Puerto
Re: Bookmarks ends in the root folder in Safari
Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:41am
Print Post  
I did the rebuild yesterday and at least till now things seems to go smooth. If something happened I'll report back.

Thanks for your help Jerry!

IP Logged

Luis Puerto
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info!

I'll try the iCloud rebuild.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Hello again, Luis.

OK, you may not have a Sync Loop now, but I've seen that symptom of items being moved to the root folder many times, and the explanation has always been that iCloud does not a reference to the folder that an item was exported (by BookMacster et al) to or moved into (by Safari).  Data loss such as this should not happen, but sometimes it does.  When iCloud cannot find the reference to an item's parent, it moves it into the root folder.

Please do the iCloud rebuild anyhow.  By removing all items and re-exporting onto the clean slate, iCloud will get new references for everything.

If that does not resolve the issue, please send us a Trouble Zipper report.  It might provide other clues.  To do that,

• Run BookMacster
• Click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper
• For Question X (Extra Extension Tests), answer "No"
• For Question B (Bookmarks and Documents), answer "Include Bookmarks and Documents"
• In the list which appears, choose "Safari"
• "Dropbox" us the resulting .zip, as instructed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Luis Puerto
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:54am
Print Post  
I was about to post this image but the system didn't let me because I didn't have at least two messages posted.

IP Logged

Luis Puerto
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Well, I don't really know if I have a sync loop. I sure that:

* I've been using BookMacster for long time, at least a couple of years, with this configuration and it's the first time that something like this happens.
* I have safari icloud system turned on because I want to have my bookmarks and reading list on my ios devices.
* My main browser is Safari and I use BookMacster to feed Firefox and Chrome with the changes from Safari, but I don't sync back from firefox and chrome to safari.

In other words:

iOS 🔁 Safari 🔁 BookMacster ➡️ Chrome / Firefox

BookMacster is only in one computer.

After checking the documentation you've sent me, I really don't know where can be a sync loop.

I've checked the logs and what's going on is that suddenly bookmacster import something from reading list and move it to the root.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Hello, Luis.

Thank you for contacting us.  What you describe is the symptom of a Sync Loop, as described in this section of the Help Book.

You could have a Sync Loop if you are using two or more of the following:

iCloud > Safari
Firefox Sync
• Google Chrome's Sign In.
• Opera Sync
• BookMacster on more than one Mac, with a .bmco file in a Dropbox, iCloud Drive or similar synced folder.
• Xmarks (until they shut down in a couple weeks)

The fix for a Sync Loop is to reconfigure the above services so there are no "closed loops".  It requires understanding (1) what you want and (2) thinking through a little "system design".  Some system design ideas are in another Help Book article.

If you want help with your system design, or if you think you don't have a Sync Loop, give us more information – either reply here or email our support box.

After clearing the Sync Loop, you should remove all of your bookmarks from whatever syncing services you'd been using and, if they are still in your new design, and repopulate onto the clean slate.  This is definitely necessary if iCloud > Safari was ever in a Sync Loop, and the procedure is in this Support article.  We haven't have that much bad experience with the Firefox, Opera and Chrome syncing systems, but I would recommend doing a similar procedure if any of them may have ever been involved in a Sync Loop.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Luis Puerto
Bookmarks ends in the root folder in Safari
Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Hi!

I have to stop syncing with BookMacster because it's just messing all my bookmarks.

I don't know why but when I left it sync a lone and after a while it moves bookmarks to the root folder. The worse scenario is with the items of the reading list in safari, but today I just found out about other bookmark that added yesterday.

The funny thing is, if I import and export manually there not a problem at all. The problem happen after a day or two.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint