Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lots of extra bookmarks. (Read 3409 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Lots of extra bookmarks.
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Hello, Howard.

Duplicate folders appearing suddenly is usually caused by a Sync Loop.  You can get a Sync Loop if you have (a) Synkmark on more than one Mac or (b) are still using Xmarks in addition to Synkmark.  While it is possible to have both (a) and (b) and not have a Sync Loop, one must be very careful. Such a configuration is not recommended because there is not too much to gain but a lot of pain possible if you ever switch on a checkbox by mistake and create a Sync Loop.  Here is more information on Sync Loops.  To avoid Sync Loops, we recommend (a) use Synkmark on only one Mac and (b) don't use Xmarks – I see they are shutting down at the end of this month anyhow.

If you don't have a Sync Loop, well it is possible that Chrome's Sign In, or Firefox Sync, or Opera Sync or iCloud:Safari had a bad day and created duplicates.  This can happen because there is always the possiblity of ambiguous data in syncing, and these services reasonably err on the side of creating duplicates rather than losing bookmarks.  But, I don't know – iCloud:Safari is the only one I've ever witnessed making duplicates all by itself, and the last time was several years ago.  I think Apple has it working much better nowadays.  Anyhow, if you think that any of these services was involved in a Sync Loop, you should remove all items from them and export from Synkmark onto this clean slate.  Here is the procedure for iCloud-Safari – the others are similar.

I don't know of any way for Synkmark to create duplicates.  Of course, if one of the synced browsers gets a bunch of duplicates somehow, Synkmark will copy the duplicates to your other browsers, which is why we have Synkmark's Safe Sync Limit preference set to 25 by default.

Synkmark and Xmarks are the only two services I know of that can automatically sync bookmarks between Firefox and Chrome.   So the fact that you got these duplicates in both Chrome and Firefox means that either you still have Xmarks running somewhere, Synkmark's Safe Sync Limit is set to more than the number of duplicate items.  (Safe Sync Limit counts each child or descendant separately.  For example, a new folder containing 10 new, moved, or newly-duplicated items counts as 11.)

Regarding Opera, starting with Opera 48, they made it impractical for other apps like Synkmark to use the equivalent of our quick direct sync method so, yes Opera can take a long time if there are many changes to export.  (The file checksum now apparently includes some salt.)

Regarding the yellow vs. green, I'm sorry for the confusion.  We tried to make it clear that, simply, yellow is the new greenThis post explains why we changed it from green to yellow.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

HowardB
Re: Lots of extra bookmarks.
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I forgot, I have Synkmark 2.7

IP Logged

HowardB
Lots of extra bookmarks.
Apr 22nd, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
This morning I found lots and lots and lots of duplicate folders in Chrome & Firefox on my Mac.   So I opened Chrome and deleted all of the duplicates (For some reason I found loads of Goodreads bookmarks - which has happened before I got Synkmark).  Then I told Synkmark to import from Chrome.   Then I told SynkMark to export to Firefox.  Then I told SynkMark to export to Opera.   That took a long time to complete, and Opera stayed on my Dock and had to be closed by hand.  Then I exported to Vivaldi.   Every export except Opera's was very fast.

Then I set my normal synchronization (import Chrome & Firefox, export all 4 browsers).

Now, the syncing circle is yellow, and I can't get it to be green, even rebooting.

It's been "Waiting for Opera (1/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint