Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Safari 3.0.4 Saving Backing Up Bookdog Folders (Read 5007 times)
ENIGMACODE
Re: Safari 3.0.4 Saving Backing Up Bookdog Folders
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 7:20am
Print Post  
"If you own enough backup space, just back up your entire Home folder.  Then all these things are taken care of, once and forever.  Much easier too -- even less typing.  You just back up:    ~ "

Jerry you're a gentleman. Yes I'm actually a firm believer in backing up on a regular basis. In the project I've been working on for the past 3 years, (a WWII Documentary), I've got everything; (all media), including data, documents, photos, hours of archival film footage and more, on external drives. I work with 5 Lacie drives capturing and storing, and I have 4 TB Drives from OWC, which serve as Back Up Drives for everything. I use 'Super Duper' (exclusively for Mac), to back up everything weekly.

Other than a few emails, Safari, Bookdog, and applications, I have little on my system drive keep. But you have reminded me how easy it is to back up the entire 'Home Folder'.

Thank you Jerry
Mike  Wink   

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Safari creates the single bookmarks file:
     ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Bookdog creates the file and directory:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Bookdog.plist
    ~/Library/Application Support/Bookdog   (*)

(*) probably only if using del.icio.us

But, again, don't back up these three items this way.  Instead, back up your entire Home folder, as recommended in the Apple article I linked to.  You see, today, you want to back up your Safari bookmarks and Bookdog data.  Tomorrow you'll want to back up your iTunes Music.  The next day your mother will send you a picture you'll want to back up.  Etc., etc.  If you own enough backup space, just back up your entire Home folder.  Then all these things are taken care of, once and forever.  Much easier too -- even less typing.  You just back up:
    ~

To save disk space, it is better to choose what not to back up.  If you can get more disk space, back up your /Applications too.  I could write a few paragraphs to further advise how to do this, but if you search the internet for "backup", "Mac OS X" and "Home Folder", you'll find many articles where people have done alot better job than I would.  Ignore references to "Time Machine" though, because in Mac OS 10.4 you don't have Time Machine.

I'm worried about your data, Mike.  Every minute of every day, someone's hard drive fails.  Let's get it backed up!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ENIGMACODE
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry

Lots of info - thank you

So then, I'll need to back up the Apple Plist files (for Safari)
as well as the Bookdog files, in order to restore the alphabetical list?

Safari actually creates the specific folders, not Bookdog right?

Thanx
Mike Shocked

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Hello, Mike.  First, since you mentioned Safari, let me clarify that Bookdog does not store your Safari bookmarks.  Bookdog edits the same Safari bookmarks file as Safari does.  Safari stores your bookmarks in this file:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

The tilde (~) is the unix abbreviation for your home folder.  In more plain English, the above means: In the Finder, open your "home" folder (the house), then open the Library folder, then open the Safari folder, and find the file Bookmarks.plist.

I copied the above from Bookdog documentation here: http://sheepsystems.com/bookdog/FileDisk.html, which also has info on bookmarks of other browsers.

That being said, there are also a couple of exclusively "Bookdog" files.  The preferences file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Bookdog.plist

stores your preferences settings, notations of which folders you want sorted, false alarms, allowed duplicates, Descriptions of Safari bookmarks, etc.

Finally, there is a folder in which Bookdog maintains a local copy of your del.icio.us bookmarks, if you have del.icio.us bookmarks and ever opened them in Bookdog.  That folder is

~/Library/Application Support/Bookdog

Notice that all of the paths begin with "~" and are therefore all in your Home folder.  If you've got enough backup space, consider backing up your entire Home folder.  Apple describes it here: http://switchtoamac.com/guides/mac-os-x/mac-os-x-basics/what-is-the-home-folder....

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ENIGMACODE
Safari 3.0.4 Saving Backing Up Bookdog Folders
Jun 21st, 2009 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Hi Gang

I have Safari 3.0.4, and Bookdog 4.2.4 with Tiger 10.4.11

Can someone point out the process to save and back up my Bookdog Folders in the event of a crash or file corruption?

Thanx  Roll Eyes
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint