Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Sort Alphabetically (Read 15162 times)
Brant
Re: Sort Alphabetically
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Nov 13th, 2009 at 7:16am:
Setting all those folders to "Do sort" should definitely not be necessary unless, in Settings > Sorting, you have set the default "For folders not explicitly set..." to "Don't sort".  Look at the other settings while you're in there and make sure they all make sense.

So, I'm not sure we've got this fixed for you yet.  Do a Check for Update to get BookMacster 0.1.6 and let us know if you have any more trouble.

Hmm. Ok. I see that is a totally different problem than what I was experiencing.

Everything is working good for me now that it was able to sort the first time. Currently running 0.1.8. Seems to be working good. Will play around with some more features. Grin

IP Logged

teerexx52
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
OK.  Set it up as you said.  Still does not sort them.  Tried several times.  Opened and closed Safari and same with Bookmacster.  Still not sorting at this point.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Well, that's why it doesn't work, then.  I'll retest the import from Bookdog when we're done with the next version.  To fix the issue, you just need to add that Agent.  Click the first + button near the top left to create an agent, then set the popup in the middle table to "Bookmarks Changed".  I believe the rest of it should appear by default, but compare it with my screenshot.  Of course, the description in the top line doesn't matter.  After it looks like mine, click in the menu File > Save and then Quit.  It should then keep your Safari bookmarks sorted.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

teerexx52
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
My screen shows none of what yours does.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.  I see that we never put a screenshot of the simple "Keep Safari Bookmarks Sorted" agent in the BookMacster Help Book.  Please click the tabs Settings ▸ Agents and make sure you have an Agent which looks like the screenshot below.  If Bookwatchdog had been set to sort Safari bookmarks, something like this should have been created by BookMacster when you imported from Bookdog.  If yours is significantly different, let us know.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

teerexx52
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I've tried what has been posted here.  Still does not sort my bookmarks

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Brant, I'm not sure that you had the same problem.  Teerex52's issue was that the Agent was not working.  Indeed, going to the gym, or doing anything longer than 5 minutes, should be long enough for the Agent to do its job after a trigger occurs (bookmarks changed, browser quit, etc.)

But then you said that hitting "Sort" in BookMacster would not work.  That's a different problem.  Setting all those folders to "Do sort" should definitely not be necessary unless, in Settings > Sorting, you have set the default "For folders not explicitly set..." to "Don't sort".  Look at the other settings while you're in there and make sure they all make sense.

So, I'm not sure we've got this fixed for you yet.  Do a Check for Update to get BookMacster 0.1.6 and let us know if you have any more trouble.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Brant
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 3:38am
Print Post  
I was having the same problem and was about to post an issue. I read through this post and was doing everything it said. Guess I had to wait that 5 minutes though. Seems to have worked now.

These were my settings. I tried and tried to get it to sort alphabetically but it just wouldn't.

I have it setup to import from Safari and export to Camino, Firefox, Omniweb, Opera 10, Safari, and Google Bookmarks (still not working).

All the exports have the Clean slate checkbox checked.

Under open/save I have "after opening" Import, sort, Find duplicates checked. Also, Export checked "before saving."

Everything else should be default.

I even went through every bookmark folder and set it to "Do sort" under sort this folder. The bookmarks were not getting sorted even in BookMacster. None of the browsers were getting sorted.

I had all browsers closed during this process. I saved and quit BookMacster at least 10 times. No luck.

Took a break, went to the gym, came back, read this post and opened up BookMacster again. All bookmarks were sorted finally. I tried for over 20 minutes before. Changed nothing. Must have just needed time.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
teerexx52 wrote on Nov 12th, 2009 at 2:29pm:
I have two computers both Mac Notebooks.  One has BookDog on it and is set to sync bookmarks to MobileMe.  Therefore my bookmarks on both machines stay synced.  However I did not have Bookdog on one of my notebooks which I did install Bookmacster.  After quitting bookmacster and reopening Safari the bookmarks were still out of order on the machine that has Bookmacster.

One important step that you may have omitted there is to Export to Safari.  That's the most important difference between Bookdog and BookMacster.  When you open your Safari bookmarks in Bookdog, those are your Safari bookmarks.  It's actually the same file!  But when you open a Bookmarkshelf in BookMacster and execute an Import with Safari as an active Import Client, they are the Bookmarkshelf's bookmarks.  In order to make them Safari's bookmarks again, you need to Export, with Safari activated as an Export Client.  All this better explained, with pictures and hyperlinks in the Help Book, which also explains how to get the old Bookdog what-you-see-is-what-you-got-in-Safari behavior:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/HelpBook/truDocImex

teerexx52 wrote on Nov 12th, 2009 at 2:29pm:
This morning they were not out of order.  However this could be due to the MobileMe sync of my book marks and not Bookmacster.

Indeed, that is true.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

teerexx52
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
OK.  I have two computers both Mac Notebooks.  One has BookDog on it and is set to sync bookmarks to MobileMe.  Therefore my bookmarks on both machines stay synced.  However I did not have Bookdog on one of my notebooks which I did install Bookmacster.  After quitting bookmacster and reopening Safari the bookmarks were still out of order on the machine that has Bookmacster.  This morning they were not out of order.  However this could be due to the MobileMe sync of my book marks and not Bookmacster.  I'll try and figure it all out.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 4:26am
Print Post  
In BookMacster, the Bookwatchdog function is replaced by Agent(s).  The first time you ran BookMacster, if you had Bookwatchdog active, BookMacster should have created equivalent Bookmarkshelf document(s) with equivalent agent(s).

A couple things can make it appear that sorting is not working:

1.  Remember to quit BookMacster when you are done using it.  Just like Bookwatchdog does not work when Bookdog is running, Agents do not work when BookMacster is running.  That's so they don't step on one another's work.

2.  Note that if you move/add/change another bookmark immediately after sorting has just occured, re-sorting will not occur for another 5 minutes.  The 5 minute "throttle interval" is because you probably have better things for your Mac to do besides sorting bookmarks like crazy.

If all that is OK, let's make the assumption that Safari is the only browser you use, and that you want all of your Safari bookmarks to stay sorted whenever you add, change or delete one.  Check back here tomorrow.  I'm going to start a web page of downloadable Sample Bookmarkshelf Documents, one of which will do that.  If I assumed wrong, please reply and give me some more detail on exactly what "keep sorted" means to you.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

teerexx52
Sort Alphabetically
Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
In bookdog withWatchdog it was easy to sort alphabetically.  I have been unable to get my bookmarks to sort that way

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint