Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) v0.1.9 bookmark list & tree view disappeared (Read 12667 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: v0.1.9 bookmark list & tree view disappeared
Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Well, I should have paid more attention to mercury on this.  I had a similar failure with empty trees that, after many hours, I fixed by trashing the preferences.  The next version will have some extra checks to make sure that the preference corruption which I then found is ignored.  What a day!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Thanks, Merc.  Can't explain it.  If you could find those preferences in your trash and attach them to a reply I'd like to have a look at them.  File is named com.sheepsystems.BookMacster.plist.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mercury
Was: v0.1.9 bookmark list & tree view disappeared
Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

Upgrade to v0.2.0 initially made no changes for me.

As a last resort I decided to delete BookMacster preferences - that did the trick. No more problems with views!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Merc, I tried hard but cannot reproduce the empty tree, empty bookmarks list or any of the crashes.  We added some logging which might help track down the crash if it happens again.  Also, there are other fixes in 0.2.0 which might solve the problem.

Oh, and the Inspector now does not show until after a pre-existing document has been reopened, if any.  It's not annoying any more.

Version 0.2.0 should be out within 24 hours.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mercury
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

Some more details on empty views problem:

- (after computer restart) start BookMacster -> tree-view magically reappeared
- import from Safari -> OK, 14 bookmarks added
- save (from "Content" pane) -> OK
- find duplicates -> 2 found, I deleted them
- save (from "Duplicates" pane) -> OK
- back to "Content" -> tree-view and list-view are both empty
  Note, switching between tree-view and list-view activates "modified" indicator

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:52am
Print Post  
mercury wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:36am:
- list & tree view problem is likely happened after verification

Thanks.  That might give us "half a chance" to be able to reproduce it.

mercury wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:36am:
- now BookMacster starts with (empty) Inspector window opened even before data file is selected (i.e. both "Welcome!" and "Inspector" windows are displayed simultaneously)

That's a feature.  If the Inspector window is showing when you quit BookMacster, it will show when you re-launch it.  I've been worried that people won't realize that the Inspector is much more important than it was in Bookdog -- showing Verify results, for example.  I've just noted a bug that Inspector could obliterate Welcome.  There are probably better ways to do this.  Or, at least, the obliteration could be detected and avoided.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mercury
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Actually, I saved Safari bookmarks and performed import/export with BookMacster several times (with some sorting/editing in between) - no data loss in Safari. Nevertheless, tree view never reappeared.

Forgot to mention two things:

- list & tree view problem is likely happened after verification

- now BookMacster starts with (empty) Inspector window opened even before data file is selected (i.e. both "Welcome!" and "Inspector" windows are displayed simultaneously)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
mercury wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:52pm:
Scrollbar on the left is still visible, when scrolled bookmark list reappears. But, selection of the bookmark in the list is impossible.

An attempt to switch to tree view does not affect anything - view remains as a list (visible or not).

Immediately after restart of BookMacster bookmark list reappears but tree view is unavailable. After some time list is also disappeared.

OK, I've never seen that, but I understand.  Added to list of things to investigate.

mercury wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:52pm:
It seems there is no (complete) data loss so far. Safari bookmarks are OK.

Yes, it should only touch Safari when you "Export" (or "Save" with "Mirror-Save" on and OK the Export).

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mercury
v0.1.9 bookmark list & tree view disappeared
Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
After about of 1hr of using v0.1.9 bookmark list on the "Content" pane is disappeared. Scrollbar on the left is still visible, when scrolled bookmark list reappears. But, selection of the bookmark in the list is impossible.

An attempt to switch to tree view does not affect anything - view remains as a list (visible or not).

Immediately after restart of BookMacster bookmark list reappears but tree view is unavailable. After some time list is also disappeared.

It seems there is no (complete) data loss so far. Safari bookmarks are OK.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint