Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Don’t even know where to start (Read 9670 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Don’t even know where to start
Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 3:54am
Print Post  
conejo23 wrote on Nov 29th, 2009 at 3:25pm:
I selected to receive notifications of replies to this topic and haven’t gotten any, hence my delay in responding. Just thought I'd stop back and see if you’d replied.

OK, I just set my notifications for this topic.  Not sure if it will work separately, since of course I get notified of all topics.  But the possible problem is noted.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 3:52am
Print Post  
conejo23 wrote on Nov 29th, 2009 at 5:52pm:
Jerry, thanks, that movie was very helpful. It must’ve imported from bookdog the first time since I didn’t get what the movie showed.

Yes, I'm worried that in some cases – for example if the user had been using more than one browser but did not have too many special properties (unsorted folders, Safari separators, etc.) set – they'd be better off starting from scratch – New Bookmarkshelf – instead of doing the Import from Bookdog.  In your case, for example, had you chose to make a "combined" Bookmarkshelf with OmniWeb, Safari, Camino, and Firefox, it would have imported from all four browsers.  Some people might want that, but some might not.  We are going to think about that some more.

conejo23 wrote on Nov 29th, 2009 at 5:52pm:
One question: I'm getting an authentication error trying to export to Google...

Probably a good catch – Thank you!  In trying to reproduce that, I just discovered a bug, introduced in 0.1.9.  Failed to get password from Keychain during Google Bookmarks import.  It's fixed for the next version (not fixed in 0.2.0).  I did not test whether or not this was causing the problem on export, but export works OK for me after fixing.  Please wait for the next version (whatever number we decide to call it, > 0.2.0) and then try that again.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

conejo23
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Jerry, thanks, that movie was very helpful. It must’ve imported from bookdog the first time since I didn’t get what the movie showed. I created a new document, followed that process and it seems to have worked great.

One question: I'm getting an authentication error trying to export to Google but I don’t see where I enter my login information. Where is that done?

Thanks, I look forward to playing around with this some more. And thanks as always for the terrific support.

IP Logged

conejo23
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry, it’s 0.1.9.

Thanks for the movie, I'll check it out.

And no, I don’t remember it asking to import BookDog stuff but I could just not be remembering accurately.

Also, FYI, I selected to receive notifications of replies to this topic and haven’t gotten any, hence my delay in responding. Just thought I'd stop back and see if you’d replied.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 1:35am
Print Post  
OK, here's our new Movies (Screencasts) page.  Conejo23's issue is the first entry:

http://sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/movies/

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  Please tell me which version of BookMacster do you have (in the menu click BookMacster ▸ About BookMacster), and also did you do go through the Import from Bookdog the first time that BookMacster launched?

I think I can get you started with some simple instructions.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

conejo23
Don’t even know where to start
Nov 28th, 2009 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I used BookDog and it was fine. Basically, all I want is to first be able to cleanly and easily see by bookmarks in my default browser, OmniWeb, and then be able to sync those to the other browsers on my system (Safari, Firefox and Camino).

With BookMacster I have no idea how to do this. I’ve read the help, probably spent 30 minutes messing around with this thing and I can’t see anywhere in the help where it simply tells me how the heck to do a simple sync.

My initial review of this app is it’s too complex and documented and too detailed a level. I went to help and I'm guessing I go to Import/Export section of help. Then I'm now guessing I go to the Clients section of the app to specify settings. I’ve selected that I just want to import from OmniWeb and I want to export to the others except OmniWeb, and I've selected Blank Slate for all of them, I hit Bookmarks/Export and nothing happens.

I’m getting really frustrated with this app. I think it REALLY needs a tutorial or a short video showing how to do basic bookmark management and then for those who really want to spend hours delving into micromanaging bookmarks at this level of detail can do so. But dang, I just want to do basic management and syncing. If I have to spend 30 minutes trying to figure the app out and I still can’t do it, something’s wrong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint