Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) duplicates (Read 7064 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: duplicates
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
psc wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:26pm:
Fixed it! ... not sure what I did

I'm happy too. 

But many times in my career I've heard those words said, and the response of a good engineering manager was always, "Great.  Now go back to the lab and come back with a report explaining why it didn't work before, and why it works now."

Fortunately, with software we actually can update things when problems become better understood later.  Let us know if you have any more trouble, even if it's just something that we can make easier so the next user might "get" it the first time.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

psc
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Fixed it!
I updated to beta 0.7.0 and that fixed Safari! It did not fix Firefox. I still had triple copies of bookmarks in it. I deleted the bookshelf and made a new one:
manage multiple browsers
client import safari
client export firefox
Export manually

After setting up the new bookshelf I imported safari I exported firefox.

Now firefox is fixed.

I not sure what I did originally that messed it all up, but once the duplicates were there it snow balled. It is odd that new bookmarks did not duplicate, only the old ones.

I am now a happy camper!

Thanks.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
psc, I'm somewhat confused myself, so I'm going to take this line by line, starting where you "started new"

psc wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:49pm:
That got rid of the duplicates in Firefox.
You must have exported to Firefox.

psc wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:49pm:
I tried different things, and I clicked  the import and export options under Bookmarkshelf menu. The duplicates showed back up in Firefox. The exception is the experimental bookmark I made it does not duplicate in either browser Cheesy.
Well, it depends on how you "made" it.

psc wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:10pm:
If I click on the find Duplicates, it does, but when I delete nothing changes.
I guess you mean when you click "Delete All"?

I messed around with it more and managed to get rid of the duplicates in firefox, but not Safari.
  "OK."

If import to Safari
Sorry for interrupting, but if you did an Import it was from Safari, not to Safari.  You always import from a client, or export to a Client.  Understanding that may be helpful.

I get duplicates that show up on the Bookshelf (but not a third copy on Safari itself, and no duplicates of new or bookmarks that I manually deleted the copy).
I'm confused.

If I find duplicates and delete the duplicates on Bookshelf disappear, but on Safari for real the original duplicates are there.
Yes.  Nothing in Safari will change until you Export to Safari.

If I manually delete the duplicates on Safari they stay deleted, and new bookmarks do not duplicate.
I guess that sounds good.

What did I do wrong!?
I wish I could answer that...

F451 wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:28pm:
Have you tried the latest beta 0.7.0? I had the same issue, but this version seems to have resolved said issue.
If this advice from F451 does not help, let's at least mentally start over.  Reply and explain in a few sentences what you want.  Give me a day or two and I'll put together a little screencast showing how it's done.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

F451
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Have you tried the latest beta 0.7.0? I had the same issue, but this version seems to have resolved said issue.

IP Logged

psc
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I messed around with it more and managed to get rid of the duplicates in firefox, but not Safari. If import to Safari I get duplicates that show up on the Bookshelf (but not a third copy on Safari itself, and no duplicates of new or bookmarks that I manually deleted the copy). If I find duplicates and delete the duplicates on Bookshelf disappear, but on Safari for real the original duplicates are there. If I manually delete the duplicates on Safari they stay deleted, and new bookmarks do not duplicate.

What did I do wrong!?

Thanks for the help

IP Logged

psc
duplicates
Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
All my book marks are duplicated in Safari and Firefox. I'm not sure what I did or what happened. So I deleted the shelf and started new. That got rid of the duplicates in Firefox. I tried different things, and I clicked  the import and export options under Bookmarkshelf menu. The duplicates showed back up in Firefox. The exception is the experimental bookmark I made it does not duplicate in either browser Cheesy.

If I click on the find Duplicates, it does, but when I delete nothing changes.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint