Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic deleting bookmarks (Read 7793 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: deleting bookmarks
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
scott wrote on Jan 30th, 2010 at 1:48am:
The fact that there are any steps involved is pretty undesireable... I guess paying for software the "just works" is too much to ask here -- yet Apple has figured out a way to do it between iTunes and the iPhone.  If I subscribe to a podcast on the iPhone, it syncs to iTunes, etc.
I agree that steps are unacceptable, as I said after I gave them (see below).  This is not the recommended way to use BookMacster, although it can be done.
scott wrote on Jan 30th, 2010 at 1:48am:
I think you need to toss the Import/Export/CleanSlate paradigm and switch to "syncing".  From what I'm seeing initially, the change to Bookmarkshelf files is only creating problems, not making this process easier?
I've continued this discussion in another thread...
http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1264817744

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

scott
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 1:48am
Print Post  
My head is spinning....

The fact that there are any steps involved is pretty undesireable... I guess paying for software the "just works" is too much to ask here -- yet Apple has figured out a way to do it between iTunes and the iPhone.  If I subscribe to a podcast on the iPhone, it syncs to iTunes, etc.

I think you need to toss the Import/Export/CleanSlate paradigm and switch to "syncing"

From what I'm seeing initially, the change to Bookmarkshelf files is only creating problems, not making this process easier?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
After thinking about this some more, I realized that there is a slightly easier method than the 12 steps given. 

Before importing from Camino, in BookMacster, in the menu click BookmarkshelfDelete All Content.  The  Delete All Content command is like doing a Clean Slate without importing anything.  Now, you've got an empty Bookmarkshelf.  Activate both Import Clients, Camino and Safari, with Camino first in the list and check Clean Slate OFF.  Now, Import.

It's an interesting theoretical problem.  The difficulty arises when you want to "import deletions" or "import deleted bookmarks" from a web browser.  Web browsers do not keep a record of bookmarks that you deleted.  Deleted bookmarks no longer exist, so you can't really "import" them.  All you can do is tell BookMacster, "OK, start over again" (Clean Slate or Delete All Content), and then import the bookmarks that do exist.

So maybe your 12 steps would reduce to 10 or so.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Thank you, Cynops.  This is my second favorite question, after "When is this beta test going to be over?"  Smiley

Cynops wrote on Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:30am:
Say I decide to edit things one day and add, delete and rename some bookmarks while I'm using Camino.  Now I want those changes to be moved over to Safari where I may or may not have added a bookmark or two since last running BookMacster.

I'm going to give you a long answer which I believe will do exactly what you want, then at the end I'll explain how to make life easier.

1.  Open the Bookmarkshelf which has previously imported these bookmarks and go to the Settings ▸ Clients tab.
2.  In the Import list , activate (checkbox ON) Camino.
3.  Because you want your deletions in Camino to be deleted in the Bookmarkshelf and later Safari, checkbox Import's Clean Slate ON.
4.  In the menu click Bookmarkshelf ▸ Import (Camino).  Your additions, deletions and renamings will be imported from Camino to the Bookmarkshelf.
5.  In the Import list, de-activate (checkbox OFF) Camino.  (I believe this step is optional but we don't need to import from Camino more than once.)
6.  In the Import list , activate (checkbox ON) Safari.
7.  Because you don't want the new bookmarks from Camino to be erased because the're not in Safari, this time checkbox Import's Clean Slate OFF.
8.  Because you don't want your renamings from Camino to be overwritten by old names from Safari, set the Merging Keep to Bkmslf.
9.  In the menu click Bookmarkshelf ▸ Import (Safari).  Your additions only will be imported from Safari to the Bookmarkshelf.  Now, the Bookmarkshelf has all of the bookmarks you want, all of the renames you want, and none of the bookmarks you deleted.
10.  In Export Clients, activate (checkbox) Safari.
11.  In that same row, checkbox Clean Slate ON.  This is so that when you export, anything not in the Bookmarkshelf (in particular, the bookmarks that you deleted in Camino) will be deleted in Safari. 
12.  In the menu, click Bookmarkshelf ▸ Export (Safari).

Whew!  By carefully using all those checkboxes and settings, you're able to get what you want in twelve steps.  That's why we put them in there, because users are coming from different starting points and may need special tweaks in order to initially get organized.  However, if you do this every day or every week you're going to end up in another kind of "twelve-step" program.  Let me suggest a workflow which will make life easier:

This workflow is for the common case of someone who wants to see all the same bookmarks in different web browsers.  You may wantonly add bookmarks while you are browsing the web in any browser (=Client).  However, when you get the urge to start renaming, rearranging and deleting, stop and Import from all browsers (Clients) into your Bookmarkshelf with Import's Clean Slate set to OFF.  Then, in BookMacster, do your renaming, rearranging, and deleting.  Save the Bookmarkshelf and then Export to all Clients, with each client's Clean Slate set to ON.

The aforementioned settings are actually the default settings which will appear when you add Import and Export Clients, so in theory you never need to touch them.  And, since you probably won't do renaming, rearranging and deleting every day, after you're confident with the way it works, you may create an Agent to do the Import and Export automatically.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Cynops
deleting bookmarks
Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I'm a bit confused. I have Safari & Camino installed. Say I decide to edit things one day and add, delete and rename some bookmarks while I'm using Camino. Now I want those changes to be moved over to Safari where I may or may not have added a bookmark or two since last running BookMacster. How do I import the bookmarks without the program viewing my deleted Camino bookmarks as newly added Safari bookmarks and adding them back into Camino?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint