Poll
Poll Question: The way BookMacster looks in version 0.9.6 is ...
bars   pie

like back in 1996 on a windows machine.    
  2 (66.7%)
ok, as long as it works I'm fine.    
  1 (33.3%)
pure eyecandy. Is this exhibited in the MoMA?    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: FatalError on: Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:48pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) v0.9.6 (Read 10711 times)
F451
Re: v0.9.6
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Hint: Yep or Leap GUIs.
Grin

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
0.9.7 indeed looks a bit cleaner. As I wrote, I'd really love to see this software on every mac I see, since we all are using more than one browser and keeping bookmarks in sync is essntial.

Well, just think about the "wife-test" at least I can tell you my girlfriend would instandly run away from such software but I would still try and explain e.g. Plex to her.

I hope you get the idea...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
F451, I appreciate you, but I appreciate FatalError's remarks too.  He said that he's not trying to diss, and I take those words at face value.  His post is mostly, well, good advice.

Engineers tend to want to get things working under the hood first, and make it pretty later.  But we also speak plainly to one another, and after a few years we develop pretty thick skins.

That being said, we should probably hold off on UI criticisms of 0.9.6 for now, because 0.9.7, which will be released "soon" (as always!) is looking much better, at least to those of us that have seen it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

F451
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
WOW! This is a beta, and we were invited to participate as guests—not lambast. Sorry, but I love the functioning aspect of the BookMacster and Bookdog. I do have some ideas for the GUI, BUT the GUI is not the most important aspect of BookMacster, for me.

GUI has such subjective responses; however, if the app's foundation is solid in an app—which BookMacster's is—then the GUI can follow. Give it some time.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Well I welcome moving on from BookDog. I never liked the UI. BookMacster brings some improvements but sorry to say, it still looks ugly.

Look at Agile Web Solutions for example: they are always improving the optical side of their software too.

I don't know anything about your motivations and why you are in this business, BUT

if you are in the business

1) only to have a software that you use yourself and see this as a hobby -> then why do you charge people money? Make it freeware, consider it a hobby.

2) to make a living -> then improve your UI! This could be a real mass-product if it

a) was reliable + easy to use/setup
b) if it was under 10$ (because it doesn't have extrem complex funcionality
c) if it would be proper looking.

Believe me: like that you could make much more money...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not investing my time because I want to diss you. I'm writing this because I'd love to see this software grow and become successful.

Have a nice week and regards from germany,
FatalError

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  We were thinking of doing some more work on the toolbar icons.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mercury
v0.9.6
Jan 13th, 2010 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Well, it is nice to see fast progress of the applications.

But, what happened to UI? Unnecessarily fancy "Help" and "Info" icons, ugly yellow on "Content", "Settings" and "Reports"... Was it really necessary?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint