Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Deleting extensive collection (Read 5286 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Deleting extensive collection
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks.  I understand what you did now.

icewazza wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 7:32pm:
Possibly at this point it also blew the saved file which is why when I loaded next and created a new one with the same name, as a way to get around the crash, it didn't ask about being overwritten.
Oh, you tried to create a New Bookmarkshelf with the same name.  I just tried that and got the expected dialog.  But, no, actually it should not blow away (delete) a .bkmslf file.  Probably it's gone, but if you can happen to come across the .bkmslf file with the 6226 bookmarks that caused the crash, I'd like to have it so I can reproduce.  Deleting 7000 bookmarks works OK for me, either way, takes about 15 seconds on my 3-yr old Mac Mini.

Both crash reports show crashes in Apple's code, so I'm going to need their help in diagnosing it.  I was thinking of opening an Incident with Apple but I think I'll wait until this happens again, or until we get something reproducible.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

icewazza
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I tried to delete first time by selecting all links command+A and then pressing delete.
The second time I tried to use the menu choice bookmarkshelf... delete all content. Both times it crashed.
Possibly at this point it also blew the saved file which is why when I loaded next and created a new one with the same name, as a way to get around the crash, it didn't ask about being overwritten.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
icewazza wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:30am:
Tried following....highlight all links in a collection 6226 links, press "delete".... beach ball of doom so far 4 min. Has not timed-out on what it is doing. Force Quit carried out. First time it hung on startup. Tried "deleting content" choice for the bookshelf the second time. Realise that it is a very slow function to delete this many links.Crashed a second time during this delete process also. Trouble file included.
We extracted two crash reports from your Trouble Zip, and in them I see things taking some unexpected turns.  Before you forget, if you could explain that sequence of events a little better, I'd appreciate it.  I'm confused between the "first time", "second time", etc.

icewazza wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:30am:
also note that if you save a file with the same name... does it overwrite with NO "there is a file already with same.. overwrite yes/no?"
How did you get that?  When I command a "Save As" with the same name it already has, I get this:

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

icewazza
Deleting extensive collection
Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Tried following....highlight all links in a collection 6226 links, press "delete".... beach ball of doom so far 4 min. Has not timed-out on what it is doing. Force Quit carried out. First time it hung on startup. Tried "deleting content" choice for the bookshelf the second time. Realise that it is a very slow function to delete this many links.Crashed a second time during this delete process also. Trouble file included.
** also note that if you save a file with the same name... does it overwrite with NO "there is a file already with same.. overwrite yes/no?"

BookMacster_Trouble_001.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint