Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Should we have Dock Menu or Menulet? (Read 7787 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Should we have Dock Menu or Menulet?
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Doug in Alaska wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:22pm:
I like the idea of adding this feature to BookMacster's dock menu.  Perhaps a right click ➝ add bookmark.  I assume the bookmark hierarchy would then pop up for folder selection?
Yes, that's what I was thinking.  I'd like to come up with something less tedious.

Doug in Alaska wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:22pm:
Would an export then need to be done?
Yes, if you'd want the new bookmark to be available in the web browser, which wouldn't seem to be very useful, at least not immediately, since you're already on that page.

The way I see it, there are two ways of working with bookmarks management apps, and two kinds of apps. 
  • Use Case 1.  Some, like Bookdog, and the current version of BookMacster, are not designed to be used while you're browsing.  For example, you cannot add bookmarks to Bookdog directly.  You can visit bookmarks from within Bookdog, and I know that some people do, but personally I don't find it to be a very pleasing experience – switching apps.
  • Use Case 2.  Other apps are designed to replace the bookmarks manager in the web browser, using the Dock Menu, Status Item (aka "menulet -- top-right corner of screen), or bookmarklet in the browser's toolbar ("Click here to add this bookmark").
I'd like BookMacster to be able to serve both use cases, and allow users to slide back and forth between them.

So, to answer your question, would an export then need to be done, the answer is that it depends on how you're using BookMacster.  If you want to see this new bookmark in the Bookmarks of the web browser, then, yes, you're in Use Case 1.  But in that case it would probably make more sense to add it to the web browser's bookmarks using the web browser and then import to BookMacster later.

Thanks for the feedback.

Another method to add bookmarks which I've seen is a global hotkey, typically ⇧⌘D.  I'm running two apps right now which claim that.  But I'm not a fan because it has broken ⇧⌘D to send a message in Mail.app.  There must be a way to control the scope.

Still interested in reading how people would like to use it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
I like the idea of adding this feature to BookMacster's dock menu.  Perhaps a right click ➝ add bookmark.  I assume the bookmark hierarchy would then pop up for folder selection?  Would an export then need to be done?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Well, good thing I didn't add a poll to begin with because your preferred choice of both wouldn't have been in there!  Now, maybe I should but, speaking as a Northern Californian to a Southern Californian, you know, defining opposing choices and asking people to vote one way or the other doesn't usually result in efficiency, effectiveness, and prosperity.  Hey, I'm fine with polls but really I'm more interested in ideas and what users think, than in how they vote.

Well, so far, I've got convenience vs. lack of space.  Probably a good argument for offering both as you suggest.  By "toolbar button", I presume you mean the javascript "bookmarklet" that you drag to the browser's toolbar, which is a third way, for adding bookmarks.  Hey, no install would be needed because BookMacster could export it directly.

I'll have another look at 1Password.  I see that old URL Manager Pro had both also.  Thanks again, F451!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

F451
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Jerry,

Should you be adding the poll feature to this thread? I vote for a menulet OR an actual toolbar button/contextual menu as 1Password offers. Thanks. Grin

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Should we have Dock Menu or Menulet?
Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Although the Import/Export capabability of BookMacster to browsers is approaching perfection, we'd also like to support:
  • A way to add bookmarks directly to a Bookmarkshelf while you're browsing the web
  • A way to navigate to bookmarks through a Bookmarkshelf hierarchy and "visit" one in your web browser.
Adding bookmarks can be done by either a "menulet" (properly called a "Status Item") on the right of your menu bar, or by adding items to BookMacster's Dock menu, or by a bookmarklet which you'd install in each web browser.

Navigate through and Visit can be done by either the menulet or Dock Menu.

The menulet has the advantage of being more handy unless, and this is becoming more common, there's not enough room up there to show it.  Using a Dock menu item requires holding down the control key or other secondary-click trick.

Any thoughts on this?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint