Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Syncing Bookmarks with Another Mac (Read 3662 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Syncing Bookmarks with Another Mac
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
AES wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 1:57pm:
Should I first purchase and install a 2nd copy of Bookdog on the Standby Mac?  Or can I just simply copy over Bookdog itself first, then do the synching to it?
No, AES.  First of all, you don't need Bookdog on the other Mac ("Old Powerbook G4" in the movie).  Using the Other Macintosh Account feature, Bookdog on your "Master Mac" can reach over into your "Standby Mac" and find its Safari bookmarks.  Second, even if you did need Bookdog on a second Mac, your License terms allow you to copy your Licensee Name and License Key over to it.  The procedure is explained in Bookdog's Built-In Help.

AES wrote on May 7th, 2011 at 1:57pm:
I only want to do occasional re-synching from the Master Mac to the Standby Mac.
Bookdog makes it convenient to sync bookmarks only.  However, if your idea is, as it appears to be, kind of a weekly backup wherein you're backing up other data (documents, email, preferences, music, cookies, passwords) besides bookmarks, then, rather than having a separate program for each of these data types, it would be simpler and more effective to back up your entire Home folder, because a Mac used properly will have all such data in the Home folder.  Now, of course one reason is that you may not have enough space on the old Mac, so you only want to back up data with a high "value density" to you; OK.  But there are many backup apps which allow you to include/exclude certain directories.  Safari bookmarks are all in the file ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

AES
Re: Syncing Bookmarks with Another Mac
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2011 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for movie on this; I think I can do it.  But I just want to sync my master set of bookmarks over from a "Master Mac" that already has Bookdog, Safari, and a big set of bookmarks, to a "Standby Mac" that has Safari but doesn't yet have Bookdog or any bookmarks.  Both Macs run Snow Leopard, and are on a single LAN. 

Should I first purchase and install a 2nd copy of Bookdog on the Standby Mac?  Or can I just simply copy over Bookdog itself first, then do the synching to it?

Add'l info:  I intend to stick with Bookdog and only ever use Safari; I'd like to stay out of the cloud; and I only want to do occasional re-synching from the Master Mac to the Standby Mac.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Syncing Bookmarks with Another Mac
Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Bookdog can sync or migrate bookmarks between different browsers on different Macs, but as with all network operations, it's a little tricky.  Here is little movie which shows how it's done: http://sheepsystems.com/files/ForumMsgRefs/OtherMac.mov
In the movie, we perform a unilateral sync from Camino on our Mac to Safari on another Mac.  More commonly, you'll sync from the same browser, and do a Bilateral sync instead of Unilateral.  In that case, you would use different settings in the Migration window.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint