Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Crash on bookmark verify (Read 8799 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Crash on bookmark verify
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Tony Stout wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 12:49am:
when the menubar icon is displayed, if there is no browser open, i get a "no browser" dropdown.  seems a browser (any browser) must be running to be able to view the bookmarks.
Although I believe that is indeed the way BookMacster is designed, I understand that the behavior may be unexpected.  I've entered this new little issue into our bug tracker for investigation.

anyhoo, after downloading 0.9.26 and opening my data file, i was able to uncheck the 'safari' client without issue.  however, when i removed it altogether, i had to save twice (which signalled the issue before).  i did a revert and the data file was restored without the client listed.
By "need to save twice", I presume you mean that the red button in the title bar was still "dirty", and you got an "unsaved changes" warning if you attempted to close the document.  I've seen this myself recently.  This little issue is now entered into the bug tracker also.

with the throttle set to 1 second, the verify completed successfully.  i re-ran the verify with the throttle set at 10 and it then completed successfully.  not sure if the initial verify fixed the offending link, but it seems to be smoothly running now...
Unfortunately, I don't think it's a simple offending link any more.  I tried to reproduce the crash on a Mac like yours at Apple's lab yesterday using your Bookmarkshelf.  But it verified 20 times with no crashes.  Maybe you've got some other system extensions that are a factor.  When you have a minute, please in the menu click  ▸ About This Mac, then click the "More Info" button.  System Profiler will launch.  Click in the menu File ▸ Save and save as an .spx file.  Then go do something else; it will take several minutes to generate the file.  When done, send me or attach to this thread the .spx file it will produce.

I have a similar report from another user, using Bookdog, but was unable to reproduce that crash also.  It may be due to some interaction  between Mac OS X and the traffic-shaping policies of your internet service provider.  Another developer has reported some new bug(s) in the URL loading system of Mac OS X 10.6.3 which have affected other apps.  Indeed, we'd went several years without a crash report in Bookdog's Verify, then when Mac OS X 10.6.3 is released we get two, and I was able to crash BookMacster once with my own bookmarks.

If anyone else sees such a crash during Verify, I'd appreciate the Bookmarkshelf file, .spx file, and also tell me what type of internet service you have, how long into the verify before it crashes, and any other interesting tidbits.

We might reduce the maximum value on that throttle setting.

Thanks again!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Tony Stout
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 12:49am
Print Post  
correct - those are the two main issues i'm seeing.

i'm also noticing that when the menubar icon is displayed, if there is no browser open, i get a "no browser" dropdown.  seems a browser (any browser) must be running to be able to view the bookmarks.

anyhoo, after downloading 0.9.26 and opening my data file, i was able to uncheck the 'safari' client without issue.  however, when i removed it altogether, i had to save twice (which signalled the issue before).  i did a revert and the data file was restored without the client listed.

with the throttle set to 1 second, the verify completed successfully.

i re-ran the verify with the throttle set at 10 and it then completed successfully.  not sure if the initial verify fixed the offending link, but it seems to be smoothly running now...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Just to recap, we're dealing with two bugs in this thread:
  • Crash during verify.
  • Bookmarkshelf says to be corrupt and won't open after deleting Client and saving.

We just fixed the second bug in a new version 0.9.26 which has just been published.

Tony, when you have a few minutes please update to 0.9.26, so you can open your Bookmarkshelf again, and then try the Verify again, but this time, as soon as it starts, reduce the throttle to the minimum speed of 1 request per second.  Then leave it alone or work in another application while it completes.  It should be done in ten minutes.

Please reply and tell me if Verify completes without crashing when run at low speed.

I think this problem might have something to do type of Mac or internet connection.  So, I've requested some time at Apple's Cupertino lab on Wednesday.  I'll beat up on it there and report back here.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Thank you for the data, Tony.  Haven't tried it yet, but since you've explained what you're trying to do, I'll explain a couple things that may help with the new problem, which is the corrupted Bookmarkshelf.

Although what you've described should work, you don't need to remove the Safari client from the Bookmarkshelf.  To keep it from importing, either:

(1)  In the Settings ▸ Open/Save tab, uncheck Mirror-Open (what you call "import on load", I presume), and then do not Import manually.  No automatic imports + No manual imports = No imports.

(2) In the Settings ▸ Clients tab, simply un-check the box to the left of the word "Safari".  This "turns it off".

Anyhow, those are just incidental remarks and you may already realize them.  I'll let you know here if I'm able to reproduce either the crash or the corruption.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Tony Stout
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 1:05am
Print Post  
also, for completeness, i should mention that i was attempting to do a one-off import of my safari bookmarks and then remove that function so that i could use ONLY the bookmarkshelf file.  i don't like cluttering up my browsers with bookmarks - i keep them all in devonthink (and index them with launchbar).  my big push for this app is to be able to verify the lot.

here's what i did:

1.  i drag the bookmarks folder out of devonthink and onto the desktop.  this i then drag into safari, dropping it into the 'bookmarks menu' area.  works fine in safari.
2.  i open bookmacster and create a new custom file
3.  the only prefs i set are to import on load (with sort and dedup checked), set a single client of safari, and enable the menu item.
4.  i save the file, then open it.
5.  the bookmarks are loaded and are available in the menu item.
6.  i get back into the file and uncheck the import on open option and save.  everything works fine.
7.  if i get back into the file and remove the safari client, when i re-open the file, i get a message stating the bookmarkshelf file is corrupted and it can't be opened.

the attached file has safari as the only client still set.

Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf ( 658 KB | 308 Downloads )

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the report, Tony.  Verification works fine for us here; likely you have a certain bookmark which is triggering the crash.  If you could please, send me that Bookmarkshelf (.bkmslf) file.  The mechanics of doing that, our Privacy Policy, etc. are explained here:

http://sheepsystems.com/support/

Scroll down to "BookMacster Bookmarkshelf Files".

Thank you!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Tony Stout
Crash on bookmark verify
Apr 18th, 2010 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
i created a new bookmarkshelf file and set it to import from safari (Version 4.0.5 (6531.22.7) on SL, 10.6.3).  bookmarks were imported correctly and display as expected.  However, when attempting a verification, the application crashes (this is repeatable - its happened twice now).

crash report is attached.

crash1.txt ( 30 KB | 357 Downloads )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint