Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic XMarks Integration? (Read 8125 times)
craigminah
Ex Member
Re: XMarks Integration?
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2010 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
It will work Windows to Mac, but it will not work Mac to Windows since I don't use a browser that has XMarks (e.g. Firefox or Safari).

Thanks anyways.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2010 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
craigminah@yahoo.c wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 1:49pm:
BookMacster can sync all bookmarks on my Mac but by incorporating XMarks functionality, it could sync bookmarks with Windows (and/or Linux).  WOuld be very handy.  Of course, syncing bookmarks with Safari or Firefox via BookMacster then allowing XMarks to sync online is an option, it doesn't help those of us who use Camino, Opera, or other popular (Mac-only) browsers.
Thanks, craigminah, but I still don't get it.  Let's say you start with some new bookmarks in Firefox on Windows:

New bookmarks created in Firefox on Windows
They get uploaded to the Xmarks Cloud
Xmarks Cloud syncs them to Firefox on Mac
BookMacster imports them from Firefox on Mac
BookMacster exports them to Camino or Opera on Mac

It also works in the reverse direction.

How would you propose that this be improved?

Also, I still don't know what you mean by "incorporating Xmarks functionality".

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

craigminah
Ex Member
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2010 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
BookMacster can sync all bookmarks on my Mac but by incorporating XMarks functionality, it could sync bookmarks with Windows (and/or Linux).  WOuld be very handy.  Of course, syncing bookmarks with Safari or Firefox via BookMacster then allowing XMarks to sync online is an option, it doesn't help those of us who use Camino, Opera, or other popular (Mac-only) browsers.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2010 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
craigminah@yahoo.c wrote on May 22nd, 2010 at 9:09pm:
Hello, I'm curious if there's been any plans of adding an option to synchronize with XMarks?
There have been no plans because it's never occurred to us that any integration is necessary.  I've tested Xmarks and found that it does its thing independently of BookMacster.  If you have set a Trigger in a BookMacster Agent to Import, Sort etc. when Safari bookmarks are changed or when Firefox quits, BookMacster should import any changes that were made by Xmarks as well.  Xmarks does not publish a app public interface ("API") which BookMacster could use, but actually I don't see any need for an API, because Xmarks' bookmarks are always synced immediately to Safari or Firefox, which of course BookMacster can import from and export to.

However, that being said, I've never really thought this through in detail or subjected it to rigorous testing.  If you could please tell me what behavior you'd expect from this integration, I'd like to do so.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

craigminah
Ex Member
XMarks Integration?
May 22nd, 2010 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Hello, I'm curious if there's been any plans of adding an option to synchronize with XMarks?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint