Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic JungleDisk (Read 7064 times)
Rob Lewis
Re: JungleDisk
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 12:21am
Print Post  
It might be good to mention that with JungleDisk, "Only upload changed portions of large files" is a checkbox on the "Network Drive" page of the Configuration window. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't select this, but I'm not sure whether it defaults to on or off.

Funny about iDisk's dumb approach to upload the whole file on any change. I've had nothing but trouble with iDisk sync—not to mention it's SLOOOOW—and even Apple Support can't figure out what the problem is. Supposedly it's going to be "fixed" in OS 10.6.5 (due any day now, I would think). We'll see.

This is ironic since Time Machine supposedly only backs up changed portions of large files.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Wow. This is good news. Not being depending on one single service is always a good choice.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
It's done.  BookMacster 1.2.1 can perform cross-browser syncing over the internet using not only Dropbox, but also Jungle Disk and other services.

We tested Jungle Disk and found that, like Dropbox, Jungle Disk is a smart "bit sipper" as described in my previous post and therefore works efficiently with BookMacster.

Since these services will sometimes come, evolve or go away, we set up a web page which users can consult to get current information about Cloud Syncing Services and their compatibility with BookMacster:

http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/products/bkmx/cloudSyncServices/

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Actually, syncing via other Cloud Folder services will be easy to implement and is coming very soon.  We planned it that way.  Instead of using the Dropbox API, BookMacster just simply puts the Bookmarkshelf into the "synced folder", e.g. Dropbox.  To push changes to The Cloud, BookMacster just saves the file and the Cloud Folder (e.g., Dropbox) app takes it from there.  To get updates from the cloud, BookMacster watches the Bookmarkshelf file for any changes written by others, and reads in such changes whenever they occur.  Add a few safety interlocks and – voila – you have an app which can work with any cloud syncing service.

The Simple Agents view will look like this in the next version

"Dropbox™" has been changed to "The Cloud", and the "Enable…" button is gone.

However, some Cloud Folder services work better than others with the "universal" implementation we have chosen.  Besides the $0 entry price point for a small Dropbox, Dropbox is also smart enough to transmit only the blocks of the file which have changed, which means it's a "bit sipper" on the network instead of a "bit hog" like Apple's iDisk component of MobileMe.

An extreme experiment shows the difference.  Take a .bkmslf file containing several thousand bookmarks, maybe 5 MB in size.  Put it in your Dropbox.  Now watch the clock and see how long the Dropbox "spinner" in the menubar spins for.  It takes about 2 minutes to upload to the cloud on our DSL line (300 Kbits/sec).  No problem because in real life you'll only do this once in a lifetime.  Now change one bookmark and save the Bookmarkshelf.  Dropbox activates again, but this time it only spins for a few seconds, because it only sends the changed blocks.  OK.  Now repeat the experiment with a MobileMe iDisk.  It takes about the same 2 minutes, both times.  Arghhh.  A few bits changed and they re-sent the whole stupid file.  If you have configured iDisk for Automatic syncing, it will do this every time you add a bookmark.

Some quick tests I did also indicated that Dropbox is probably faster about uploading in general; that would make sense – they can afford to be, due to their much greater efficiency they obtain from not sending whole files.

So, anyhow, BookMacster will soon be opened up to use other Cloud Folder services, although its user interface will not do all the hand-holding like it does with Dropbox setup.  We figure that users who are smart enough to find their own Cloud Folder service probably know how to use it.  Dropbox will remain the easy default for people who don't know anything about The Cloud and just want BookMacster to sync their bookmarks.

If anyone with a Jungle Disk or another service wants to do the experiment I described above and let us know the results here that would be cool.  Just copy and paste a big folder of bookmarks in your bookmarkshelf (creating duplicates, that's OK) until you get a few thousand, then Save As to your synced folder and start watching the menubar or whatever indication they have that an upload is in progress.  It would be nice to publish a chart comparing various services.

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:07pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
JungleDisk
Sep 21st, 2010 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
It's great that BM is going to support DropBox. I see that the 1Password folks are doing that, too.

I'd like to put in a vote for supporting JungleDisk. Based on what I know, it will do everything DropBox does, and a good deal more. You can sync any folder(s) you want to the cloud.

I'm sure this is well down the priority chain, but just wanted to raise the topic. I've been a satisfied JungleDisk user for a couple of years now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint