Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) How delete bookmarks, and stop them being restored (Read 8016 times)
Mike Boreham
Re: How delete bookmarks, and stop them being restored
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all that, and especially the refund!

Now that things are working I have re-instated the one click  operation.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Mike Boreham wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:46pm:
Thanks for quick reply.

I have now bought a license for each of my Macs, and I seem to have got things working correctly on both
Our End User License agreement allows a single person with multiple Macs to use it on all of their Macs.  (If we didn't allow this, people would do it anyhow.)  I just refunded one of your purchases.

On the Mac Pro, after the first import one bookmark folder was split into two separate ones, and only one of them was being exported. I merged them manually in the inspector and everything was fine after that.
Again, it's hard to say what happened.  Maybe the same folder existed in both browsers on the first import.  Let us know if you have any more trouble.

I have changed the settings to not do everything automatically, as you suggested. However I really liked the one click nature of doing everything automatically.
No, you can leave those settings on, and actually they will work.  It's just that doing something automatically is less reliable, especially with a new operator when new data is being loaded into a new app for the first time.  Something went wrong which we can't go back and reproduce.  You should turn them back on if you like them.

Glad to know such good support is available if I have any more difficulties.
Hee… It takes my mind off thinking about how could we and should we deal with the App Approval Process for the new Mac App Store which Apple announced a couple days ago.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mike Boreham
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for quick reply.

I have now bought a license for each of my Macs, and I seem to have got things working correctly on both but only after after another surprise:

On the Mac Pro, after the first import one bookmark folder was split into two separate ones, and only one of them was being exported. I merged them manually in the inspector and everything was fine after that.

I have changed the settings to not do everything automatically, as you suggested. However I really liked the one click nature of doing everything automatically.

So things are good for now. Obviously still learning.

Glad to know such good support is available if I have any more difficulties.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Hello, Mike.

Almost certainly, if you were making changes in the Bookmarkshelf, and deleted bookmarks and old sorting orders were re-appearing later, this was happening when changes were not exported to the browser(s), and later re-imported from browser(s).

From reading your messages, I get the impression that you were relying on your checked boxes in the Open/Save settings (Mirror-Open, Sort (when opened), and Mirror-Save) to "do all the work" automatically.  Since that's not the way I usually do it, I tried several go-rounds with all those boxes checked: Making changes, closing, re-opening, repeat.  Everything always behaved as expected; I never saw any old arrangements re-appear as you did.  Of course, for this to work, if you get a warning that "Firefox is running", you must click "Quit application(s)", or the export won't occur and old bookmarks may reappear.

But this is a rather roundabout way.  If I want to rename, delete, sort and export bookmarks, I would do the sorting by clicking in the menu BookmarkshelfSort.  That way they're sorted immediately; I don't need to wait until I close and re-open the document.  Likewise, although not as important, for exporting, after making my changes I would click in the menu BookmarkshelfExport.

Doing it the roundabout way, it might be possible that some other syncing service such as MobileMe might, for some reason, come and restore your old bookmarks, and then you re-import them.  But these things are difficult to reproduce and even remember after they've happened.  When you're using a new app, lots of things are flying by that you don't notice.

Regarding the idea of deleting a bookmark in a client/browser, if all of the Advanced Settings behind the "gear" buttons in the Clients tab have been left at there default settings, it does work to "import a deletion", but this also relies on no other interference from other sources.  It is a better practice to sort, delete and rearrange your bookmarks within BookMacster, and then immediately Export the changes.  Adding bookmarks within browsers is quite foolproof, but "importing a deletion" is kind of like "proving a negative".

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mike Boreham
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:37am
Print Post  
I don't believe this, and it's embarrasing!

Although I tried the deleting process a few times before posting above, it is now working as I expected, without me doing anything different.

This is the same as with my other recent problem where a renamed bookmark wasn't sorted properly.

Is anyone else experiencing this....where expected actions don't happen first run, but do after a few attempts, without doing anything different?

IP Logged

Mike Boreham
How delete bookmarks, and stop them being restored
Oct 22nd, 2010 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Another new user question, and apologies if the answer is RTFM...I have searched in BookMacster Help.

I am using BookMacster to sync Safari (default) and Firefox bookmarks. I have my Bookmarkshelf file set to import (mirror-open) and sort on opening, and export (mirror-save) on close. Automatically save on closing. All boxes ticked in the Clients tab. MacBook Pro 10.6.4. BookMacster 1.2.6.

If I delete a bookmark in any of the three places they exist (Safari, Firefox and Bookmarkshelf) then the next time I do a sync it is replaced by the merging, from the other two.

Is there a setting somewhere so that a deletion is read across to the other places, not just restored?

Is it best to do such editting and deleting on the Bookmarkshelf content tab, or Safari the default browser?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint