Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hide upon startup (Read 6595 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Hide upon startup
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Yes, I think this feature is built in to Cocoa.  Just need to add a checkbox and bind it to the Settings file.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Jerry,

Not sure why I did not notice it before but the 'Inspector' window does exactly what I was wanting the main bookmarks window to do. If Bookmacster is no longer the front most application, the Inspector window 'disappears' but it reappears (assuming it was open) when you bring the application to the front. This is what I would like the main window to do. It could be an option under the 'After opening this document, do automatically' preference as something like 'Hide when in background'.

Just wanted to let you know that the Inspector pane behavior is what I was wanting in the main window.

Regards,

Spaceman

IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Took me several minutes to remember that myself

Great, thought I was loosing my mind.

Quote:
If the 'hiding' is not a feature of BookMacster, please consider this a 'Feature Request'.
I've added to the list of things to consider, but I'm not sure we want to do that.  If an app is launching automatically, as at Login, it makes sense to be able to do some additional setup automatically.  But if you're launching BookMacster manually, to have a window open and then immediately disappear without explanation, because of some preference which you set a long time ago, might cause confusion at times.

OK, I went back to look at the way URLM does this. I may not be using the correct terminology. What you set in URLM is to 'Hide Windows in Background'. What this does is to hide the bookmarks window any time that URLM is not the front most App. However, as soon as you bring URLM to the front, the bookmarks window is displayed. This is a little different from the 'minimize to the dock' method. In addition, if you launch the application, the bookmarks would not automatically disappear, only after you brought another App to the front.

Not being a programmer, I'm not sure how difficult this would be.  Huh

Regards,

Spaceman

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Spaceman wrote on Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:18pm:
I thought in 1.3.4 I saw where there was an option to, upon startup of the application, have it open a particular Bookmarkshelf file and then hide it.
This appears as a menu item in BookMacster's Status Menulet, but only if no Bookmarkshelf is open.  (Took me several minutes to remember that myself  Wink)

Another place where you can do this is if you set a given Bookmarkshelf to open upon launch, and also, in your System Preferences ▸ Accounts, set BookMacster is set to be a Login Item.  There is a "Hide" checkbox in that "Login Items" tab.  So when you log in, BookMacster will launch, open the desired Bookmarkshelf, and then hide it.

If the 'hiding' is not a feature of BookMacster, please consider this a 'Feature Request'.
I've added to the list of things to consider, but I'm not sure we want to do that.  If an app is launching automatically, as at Login, it makes sense to be able to do some additional setup automatically.  But if you're launching BookMacster manually, to have a window open and then immediately disappear without explanation, because of some preference which you set a long time ago, might cause confusion at times.  On the other hand, since you've just launched it manually, BookMacster is already on your mind, and it only takes one click of the yellow button in the window's title bar, or ⌘H on the keyboard, to mininize it to the dock.

Additionally, it might be nice (helpful) if there were a single thread/topic started that was for posting feature requests. Just so they are consolidated and easier for others to find.
OK, noted that.  Someone else made a similar request recently.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Hide upon startup
Dec 2nd, 2010 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I may be loosing it  Huh

I have only been using BookMacster for a couple of days (started with 1.3.4). I am now running 1.3.5. For some reason, I thought in 1.3.4 I saw where there was an option to, upon startup of the application, have it open a particular Bookmarkshelf file and then hide it.

I can find the option to open a particular file but not to have it automatically hide. Was this in 1.3.4 or am I confused because I have been switching back and forth between BookMacster and URLM?

Additionally, it might be nice (helpful) if there were a single thread/topic started that was for posting feature requests. Just so they are consolidated and easier for others to find.

Liking the program (and the fast customer service) so far.

Spaceman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint