Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Feature Requests (Read 4207 times)
Spaceman
Re: Feature Requests
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2011 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on May 23rd, 2011 at 7:39am:
Spaceman wrote on Apr 18th, 2011 at 4:10pm:
Provide a preference that, upon launching BookMacster, the Main window will automatically be hidden or minimized.
Yes, that's in the to-do list now.  I hope to get that in soon.

Great! Thanks!

Allow BookMacster Menu Item to show bookmarks even when a browser is not running.
I believe you explained that in more detail in this thread: http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1305725711, so I'll discuss it over there

OK, forgot I had mentioned it here. I will discuss it in that thread.

Create a way that bookmarks can be created directly within the desired folder instead of only the dropbox.
Yes, I think that URL Manager Pro gave you your entire bookmarks collection in a hierarchical menu.  Let me quote from a rewritten section 1.3.4 in a soon-to-be-released next version of BookMacster:

When adding a bookmark, in some cases you’re in a hurry or don’t want to break your spell of concentration.  In other cases, you want to stop, compose a good name, add tags and notes, and/or place the bookmark in its proper folder.  BookMacster allows you to do it either way, at any time.  In the first case, you’re done in one click.  In the second case, BookMacster opens its Inspector on the new bookmark wherein you can edit and move it.

So, you see, BookMacster provides two ways, which I think of as Quickly and Thoughtfully.  In our new Firefox extension you'll get two menu items.   Quickly is Add Quickly and Thoughtfully is Add & Inspect.  In case you are not aware, if you are using the BookMacsterize bookmarklet you can choose between the two by holding or not holding down the 'option' key.  See BookMacster's PreferencesAdding.

Now, unfortunately if you want to simply place a bookmark in a given folder but not add any tags, notes, shortcuts or whatever you still need to use the Add & Inspect method.  So, if that's all you want to do, compared to URL Manager Pro, it takes one extra click on the Move command in the Inspector, and another extra click, or a cmd-W, to close the Inspector.

To put it another way, in URL Manager Pro, you only had one way to add a bookmark, and it took maybe two clicks.  In BookMacster, you have two ways – either "one click" or "several clicks".  Do you really want a "two click" method?

Hmmm. I had not noticed the 'Move'. About 99.9% of the time, the only thing I use the Inspector window for is to rename the bookmark. The other 0.1% is using the 'Visit With' but that's just how I use the program.  Huh

Also, I may have 'passed' over the 'Move' since it is a 'link' and all other settings are done with buttons, checkboxes, or text fields. I guess I just did not pay attention to it.  Embarrassed

So after looking at the 'Move', yes, it will allow me to do what I was wanting; although as you mentioned, with a few extra clicks. I just have to remember to not reflexively close the Inspector after reviewing the the name.  Roll Eyes

Sometimes its hard for us Old Dogs to learn New Tricks  Wink

Regards,

John

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Feature Requests
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2011 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Provide a preference that, upon launching BookMacster, the Main window will automatically be hidden or minimized.
Yes, that's in the to-do list now.  I hope to get that in soon.

Allow BookMacster Menu Item to show bookmarks even when a browser is not running.
I believe you explained that in more detail in this thread: http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1305725711, so I'll discuss it over there

Create a way that bookmarks can be created directly within the desired folder instead of only the dropbox.
Yes, I think that URL Manager Pro gave you your entire bookmarks collection in a hierarchical menu.  Let me quote from a rewritten section 1.3.4 in a soon-to-be-released next version of BookMacster:

When adding a bookmark, in some cases you’re in a hurry or don’t want to break your spell of concentration.  In other cases, you want to stop, compose a good name, add tags and notes, and/or place the bookmark in its proper folder.  BookMacster allows you to do it either way, at any time.  In the first case, you’re done in one click.  In the second case, BookMacster opens its Inspector on the new bookmark wherein you can edit and move it.

So, you see, BookMacster provides two ways, which I think of as Quickly and Thoughtfully.  In our new Firefox extension you'll get two menu items.   Quickly is Add Quickly and Thoughtfully is Add & Inspect.  In case you are not aware, if you are using the BookMacsterize bookmarklet you can choose between the two by holding or not holding down the 'option' key.  See BookMacster's PreferencesAdding.

Now, unfortunately if you want to simply place a bookmark in a given folder but not add any tags, notes, shortcuts or whatever you still need to use the Add & Inspect method.  So, if that's all you want to do, compared to URL Manager Pro, it takes one extra click on the Move command in the Inspector, and another extra click, or a cmd-W, to close the Inspector.

To put it another way, in URL Manager Pro, you only had one way to add a bookmark, and it took maybe two clicks.  In BookMacster, you have two ways – either "one click" or "several clicks".  Do you really want a "two click" method?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Feature Requests
Apr 18th, 2011 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I have mentioned a couple of these before but wanted to bring them up again. Here are some features that I would like to have in BookMacster.

-Provide a preference that, upon launching BookMacster, the Main window will automatically be hidden or minimized.

-Allow BookMacster Menu Item to show bookmarks even when a browser is not running.

-Create a way that bookmarks can be created directly within the desired folder instead of only the dropbox.

Regards,

John Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint