Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can I disable the auto-start of BookMacster agent? (Read 6128 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Can I disable the auto-start of BookMacster agent?
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Wow.  My BookMacster has been chewing on your log files for the last 20 minutes, trying to delete old entries, using 100% of CPU indeed.  This is not normal behavior.

From your logs, I also see that a BookMacster-Worker crashed earlier today while it was doing the same thing.

We'll figure out what's going on and put in a branch to gracefully handle corrupt log files in the next version.  In the meantime, I would say that you can probably fix this by deleting your Logs file as it is apparently quite corrupt.

• Force Quit Agents Workers, if any, as described in my previous message.
• Quit BookMacster.
• In Finder, navigate to Home ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ BookMacster.
• Trash the file named Logs.sql.

Regarding your Agents settings, you can either set them back to Simple Agents, which will sync whenever changes are detected, or if you truly want the sync done only manually or weekly, leave everything unchecked or else use the Agents ▸ Advanced to schedule them once a week as described in my previous message.  Even though the CPU burden of syncing whenever changes are detected is small, if you don't value it, BookMacster's advanced settings allow you to customize.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Here's the log.

BookMacster_Trouble_007.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
?τ wrote on Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:04pm:
1) disable auto-start…
We use a different word.  The background operations are triggered by a BookMacster Agent and performed by a BookMacster-Worker.  To turn them off, launch BookMacster, click in the menu BookMacsterActive Agents.  Select one and click Edit, then change the view to Simple if necessary, finally un-check all the boxes.

By default, Agents sync whenever bookmarks changes are detected, although they are throttled to occur no more often than every 5 minutes.  You can reduce the operation of Agents sync only once per week.  To do that,

• In Simple Agents, check the two boxes Import Changes from Clients and Export Results to Clients.
• Click the tab Advanced.
• In the Triggers table, delete all triggers except one.
• Click the remaining trigger and in the popup menu select Scheduled.
• In the next two columns, enter day and time.

2) maybe the high CPU usage needs to be investigated further?
A BookMacster-Worker process typically runs for a few seconds and then disappears; more than a few seconds if you have an old Mac, many Clients, or thousands of bookmarks.  During these seconds, it will typically use all the CPU that the system will give it, which is 100% if nothing else is going on.

But let's make sure that nothing bad is happening.  In BookMacster, click the menu BookMacster and look at the Force Quit Agents' Workers item.  This menu item is our emergency cutoff switch.  Normally it is disabled ("grayed out"), indicating that no BookMacster-Workers are currently running.  If a Worker got stuck on, you can use this menu item to force quit it.

I'd like to look at BookMacster's Logs to see if you have too much BookMacster-Worker activity.  To send us your logs, in BookMacster click in the menu HelpTrouble Zipper.  When answering the questions, it might be good to Include bookmarks and Bookmarkshelf Documents so we can see if there's anything in there that's causing BookMacster-Worker to run for a long time.  I recently tested BookMacster with the data of a user that had 488,000 bookmarks.  Thanks to performance improvements in recent versions, BookMacster did slog through them, but it took a while.  (Oh, they were almost all duplicates from his long history of telling browsers to migrate bookmarks.  He eliminated them using BookMacster's Delete All Duplicates.)

3) Minor complaint: help has a missing point. for me 1.1 is empty (see screenshot).

Thank you; it's already been noticed and fixed for the next version.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Can I disable the auto-start of BookMacster agent?
Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
hey Jerry,

I think this is a three part post:

1) disable auto-start
I'm on a mac and recently I noticed some high CPU usage by the BookMacster-Worker and some bookmacster processes in the background. Since I'm not a hardcore user and only need bookmacster to copy my latest changes in bookmarks from my main browser to all the other browsers I still need for the craziest reasons I don't need any background process at all. for me it would be sufficient to start bookmacster once a month and sync bookmarks over to my secondary browsers.

is that possible? I couldn't find the option to disable auto-start and there is no entry for bookmacster under system prefs > user > starting objects (it's anmeldeobjekte in german).

2) maybe the high CPU usage needs to be investigated further? do you need anything specific. If so, let me know and I'll post it.

3) Minor complaint: help has a missing point. for me 1.1 is empty (see screenshot).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint