Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Broken Login Item"? (Read 6292 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: "Broken Login Item"?
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
That's weird because I got that error about iTunesHelper too, about a week ago.  I thought it was because I had upgraded to Lion.  However, it's possible that it was actually an iTunes update which did it; I think I remember seeing an iTunes update recently.

As far as what to do, delete the Login Item, because if it's not there it's not going to do anything.  But don't reinstall iTunes unless you find something isn't working.  Possibly Apple eliminated the iTunesHelper in the latest iTunes update but did not, as they should have, included some lines in their installer script to remove its Login Item.  You know, with 80 billion in the bank they've got more important things to worry about  Grin

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Interesting…my broken item seems to be iTunesHelper. Odd, because I never mess with anything that Apple installs. Think I should reinstall iTunes or something? (I'm still on Snow Leopard.)

Thanks for the explanation.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
To avoid conflicts, BookMacster checks your Login Items when it launches to make sure that Bookwatchdog (the Bookdog background application) is not a Login Item.  If you have a broken login item, Mac OS X will not give all of the Login Items and therefore BookMacster cannot complete this process. 

Therefore, BookMacster tells you about the broken Login Item and tells you how to identify and remove it.  I wish that Apple would take care of this housekeeping for us when you log in, but they don't.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
"Broken Login Item"?
Jul 26th, 2011 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I keep getting a message from BookMacster when it launches. It's something about a broken login item. I don't know what the problem is; I've never seen this with any other application.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint