Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Needed clarification on how to fix broken urls (Read 6416 times)
Victoria L. Herring
Re: Needed clarification on how to fix broken urls
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your patience and explanations -- probably need some sort of dictionary to go along with the Help!  Thanks = I'm getting the hang of it, slowly but surely.  Appreciate the help.

VICTORIA L. HERRING, Travel research & Photography:  Images that will transport You,
www.JourneyZing.com & Online Gallery
Attorney, Discrimination/Employment Law: 
www.HerringLaw.com
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Victoria L. Herring wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:25pm:
One other thing I cannot see any explanation of is the various numbers and symbols at the top or bottom of the screen.
Well, you can thank our Aesthetics Department for pushing to reduce the number of words in our windows.

In Find/Reports it says Type = Bookmark, Found 1172/1373 but not sure what that means
It means that 1172 out of your 1373 total items are being displayed.  In this case, it looks like probably the other 101 are not being displayed because they are Type = Folder.

what § means.
More shorthand.  ▐=bookmark  §=folder.

And then looking at the Reports/Verify area it says 1049 okay, 85 updated and 34 unknown...which is not = 1172, so not sure what that means.
I thought those were supposed to add up, but indeed your numbers come up short by 4/1172.  Maybe 4 were deleted and the displayed total did not get updated, which would be a bug.  I've just opened a bug report to look into that when we get a chance, and another one to add tooltips for the other shorthand mentioned above.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Victoria L. Herring
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
That's helpful = I think I get it now, the swap is a way to edit and update the url.  That makes sense now but it wasn't apparent to me the swap would be what was needed.  Thanks much.

One other thing I cannot see any explanation of is the various numbers and symbols at the top or bottom of the screen.  I can logically figure them out, more or less, but not always or entirely.

In Find/Reports it says Type = Bookmark, Found 1172/1373 but not sure what that means, nor what § means.  And then looking at the Reports/Verify area it says 1049 okay, 85 updated and 34 unknown...which is not = 1172, so not sure what that means.

VICTORIA L. HERRING, Travel research & Photography:  Images that will transport You,
www.HerringLaw.com
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Victoria L. Herring wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 4:33pm:
I can't find any easy explanation of how to fix broken urls.
Yes, since BookMacster can actually store data, it does not shove broken URLs into your face one after another like Bookdog does.  You step through them manually in the Content View (switched into Flat mode), using  the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard.  If you'd like a more organized workflow, you can click the tab Reports ▸ Find and find, for example, all items whose "Type is Bookmarks AND Verify Status Code is 404", then work with those.

I know you get the Prior/Current/Suggested urls in the Inspector - but nowhere does it say to do anything in order to replace the bad current one with the good tested suggested one.
Click the round "swap" button on the left, as shown here…

I didn't see anywhere that there was any place to actually fix the broken urls
As in Bookdog, Fix is a slight overstatement.  The only real options are to replace or otherwise correct the URL, which we've just discussed, or to…

to delete
which you do by selecting the doomed item in either the Content View or Find report and hitting the delete key on your keyboard, or performing a secondary click and clicking Delete in the contextual menu.

Let me know if this doesn't cover everything.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Victoria L. Herring
Needed clarification on how to fix broken urls
Aug 16th, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I used URL ManagerPro and Bookdog in the past and have moved to BookMacster.  But while the Help info is detailed, I can't find any easy explanation of how to fix broken urls.  I know you get the Prior/Current/Suggested urls in the Inspector - but nowhere does it say to do anything in order to replace the bad current one with the good tested suggested one. 
I didn't see anywhere that there was any place to actually fix the broken urls nor to delete them = nor any explanation as to how to do so.  I've gone thru and found the duplicates and done a Delete All and now have verified and there are 159 broken ones and I'd like to be able to either adapt the suggested one easily or delete them.  But don't see any explanation of how to do so.

www.HerringLaw.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint