Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Adding bookmarks via bookmarklet (Read 4310 times)
PCJunkie
Re: Adding bookmarks via bookmarklet
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry,

I'll mess with it and see how it goes. I've always been looking for a happy medium to managing bookmarks, and since i use 2 browsers, not being happy with just the one for one reason or another.. Bookmacster has, i'm happy to say, come to be a really nice app that works globally.. not being set for just one browser or another exclusively.

Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Adding bookmarks via bookmarklet
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
It's a little tricky, but you can do this if you don't mind having a Status Item (aka Menulet) for BookMacster.

• Click in the menu BookMacster ▸ Preferences, then General.
• Check the box Show BookMacster status in menu bar.
• Check the box Launch in Background.
• In your Bookmarkshelf window, click Settings ▸ Open/Save.
• Make sure the top box, Open this document when launching, is checked.
• Quit BookMacster.

Now, whenever you launch BookMacster, it will open your Bookmarkshelf but it will be a "background" application.

• Launch BookMacster.

Now, the Bookmarkshelf window will never show, although the Inspector will, depending on whether or not you hold down the option key.  (The option key behavior has a preference too, Preferences ▸ Adding.)

When you need to really get into BookMacster,

• Click the BookMacster status menulet in your menu bar.
• Click Show BookMacster.
• Activate any other app using the Dock or ⌘-tab.
• Activate BookMacster using the Dock or ⌘-tab.

The last two steps are due to a bug in Mac OS X which I see that, sadly, Apple has still not fixed in Mac OS X 10.7.1 despite repeated reports.   Another unfortunate "feature" of Mac OS X is that "showing" a background app is a one-way operation.  Once you have clicked Show BookMacster, the only way to get it back into the background is to quit and re-launch BookMacster.

Also, check out the Status Menulet and consider using that instead of the Bookmarklet to add bookmarks.  Sometimes, it takes about 10 seconds to load the first time you click it, but it allows you to traverse your hierarchy and add bookmarks wherever you want to.

Maybe this can be made easier in a future version.  Let us know what you think.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

PCJunkie
Adding bookmarks via bookmarklet
Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Was wondering if there is any way to stop the main window from popping up when you click the bookmarklet in the browser, it opens the inspector when adding a bookmarklet but with that it pops up the main window.. maybe a suggestion for future updates? but it would be nice if you could just have the inspector show without the main window always showing up as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint