Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Safari Reading List (Read 9844 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Safari Reading List
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Well, as I said, if you have not set an Agent to Import automatically, and do not Import manually, then any bookmarks that you save in any browser will disappear the next time that you Export.  Although you can tweak this behavior somewhat by getting into Advanced Client Settings, by default Export in BookMacster means to change the content in the browser clients so that it looks like the Content in the Bookmarkshelf.  Therefore, any items that are not in the Bookmarkshelf will indeed by wiped out.

I think we've dealt with the Reading List issue?

One other bug we've been fixed during the last couple weeks is that if you are switching rapidly back and forth between Safari and Firefox, creating bookmarks in each, or if you are rapidly create bookmarks in Firefox and create one within a certain ~5-second window which occurs every 5 minutes, you might occasionally lose a bookmark.  This bug is fixed in BookMacster 1.8 which we'll release soon.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

howard
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 5:36am
Print Post  
I am not doing any importing. I use both Safari and Firefox (and in the past, Camino as well), and found that I was consistently losing recently saved bookmarks (either saved in the browser, or saved with a bookmarklet) when doing an import/export.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Howard,

I fired up a Mac running 10.6.8, got Safari 5.1.1, tried exporting bookmarks to the Reading List, and it works fine for me.  Please watch this little 1-minute movie and see if you're doing something different than I…

http://sheepsystems.com/files/ForumMsgRefs/ReadingListInSnowLeopardWorks.mov

After I made this movie, I was thinking that maybe you've never imported from Safari since adding bookmarks to your Reading List.  That is, if the Reading/Unsorted is empty in a Bookmarkshelf, and you export it to Safari, then indeed your Safari Reading List will be emptied out. That is the expected behavior for an Export.

In normal operation, however, a BookMacster Agent will Import before it processes and Exports.  Since you are doing this manually, you should do the same thing:  Import, manage bookmarks as desired, then Export.  If you never Import, you'll never get any new items from Safari, either from the Reading List or anywhere else.  You'll just keep exporting the same old bookmarks all the time.

Although not shown in the movie, later I tested the reverse operation, importing from the Reading List, and it works too.  Bookmarks from Safari's Reading List are imported to BookMacster's Reading/Unsorted folder.

Let me know if this explanation resolves the issue.

Thanks!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Yes, ⌘U is Export; that makes sense.

This issue should not occur in Mac OS 10.7; I still owe you an answer on 10.6.8.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2011 at 3:09am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

howard
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Correction. CMD-U (Update) that wipes out the reading list; CMD-J just does a sort.

Typically every few days I will go to BookMacster, clean up the Drop Box entries, then do a CMD-J, CMD-U.

IP Logged

howard
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 3:59am
Print Post  
I did a test. Entered some bookmarks into Reading List. Went to BookMacster. Did CMD-J. Went to Safari. All entries in the Reading List were gone.

Safari 5.1.1. OS 10.6.8. BookMacster 1.7.3.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
OK, Howard.  Let me further interpret your message to mean that this disappearing of all bookmarks in your Reading List was happening, oh, once every couple days.  Then, you stopped using the ⌘J manual syncs for several days, and so far you've not lost any bookmarks.

We'll try and reproduce that.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

howard
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I am using 1.7.3

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Hello, Howard.  You've described a bug that was fixed in BookMacster version 1.7.3, released on Oct 08.  Please launch BookMacster and click in the menu BookMacsterCheck for Update.  Let us know if updating does not fix the problem.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

howard
Safari Reading List
Nov 9th, 2011 at 2:51am
Print Post  
I started using Safari 5.1's Reading List, and discovered that from time to time I'd lose all of the URLs that I stored there. I tracked it down to BookMacster. I'm doing manual syncs from BM using CMD-J. When I do that, all of the Reading List URLs vanish.

Can this be fixed in a future release?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint