Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Not syncing Firefox and Safari via Dropbox (Read 4745 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Not syncing Firefox and Safari via Dropbox
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Here is some more stuff to look at, in case you come back to your Mac before I do.

If the problem is that changes in Firefox are not being detected, click in the menu: BookMacster ▸ Manage Browser Add-Ons, and "Test" the Firefox Extension.

If nothing I've mentioned so far solves the problem, open your Bookmarkshelf document to the Settings ▸ Agents tab.  Verify that, at least, the first and third checkboxes, "Import Changes from Clients" and "Export Results to Clients" are swithced on.  Switch off the "Import Changes from Clients" checkbox, then switch it back on.  Doing that might fist it, because we've recently uncovered what appears to be a bug in Mac OS X wherein Agents just "stop working" until you either re-create them like that, or log out and back in, which causes Mac OS X to reload them.  I think we might have a fix for this in BookMacster 1.9.8 which we plan to publish tomorrow, but I'm not sure because the problem is sporadic and, although I've seen it happen myself,  we don't know how to reliably reproduce it.

Finally, if you want to send logs and other data so we can have a look at the problem, activate BookMacster and click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Not syncing Firefox and Safari via Dropbox
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Hello Heather,

No you don't need to leave BookMacster running.  Your message reads like you know what you're doing so I'll skip the simple stuff.

It takes 5-7 minutes for BookMacster and Dropbox to get a bookmark to your other Mac.

Is Safari on Mac #1 syncing to Firefox on Mac #1?  I mean, is the problem just syncing between Macs, or is sync not even working between browsers on one Mac?

Launch BookMacster and click in the menu: BookMacster ▸ Logs.  Look at the messages in there.  They're pretty geeky, but you should see several lines of action logged immediately after you add a bookmark, then a couple dozen lines again 4-5 minutes later when the sync occurs; lots of "Importing", "Merging", "Writing", etc.  After you add a bookmark, click the round "refresh" button in the upper left corner of that "Logs ▸ Messages" window to get the latest messages.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Heather
Not syncing Firefox and Safari via Dropbox
Feb 7th, 2012 at 3:58am
Print Post  
I have Bookmacster set up on two Mac computers. On each computer, I set up a single bookmarkshelf to sync Firefox and Safari clients via Dropbox. I'm also using iCloud to sync to iOS devices. Regardless of iCloud, my two desktop browsers are not syncing. No other syncing software is being employed (I used to use Firefox sync, but that was disabled prior to installing Bookmacster). Do I need to leave Bookmacster running in the background for it to work? The instructions don't say.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint