Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Feature Request: star ratings (Read 12195 times)
Clyde
Re: Feature Request: star ratings
Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Rob Lewis wrote on Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:56pm:
And then there's the "Just use tags" solution, which doesn't really work because there's no simple equivalent to searching, say, for "All items with at least 3 stars."
Sorry to go off…

Rob, for sure, stars add value to the program.  My point vis à vis tags was to help you find a workaround in this app, for the time being.  And actually, your star thinking helped me deepen my tag use, so thanks Wink

I use stars all the time - heavily - in Lightroom, a bit in iTunes and agree with their value in some circumstances in BookMacster.  They probably will not be used much by me in BookMacster at this time (especially given their evolutionary state) nor in the future. If I were to suggest to Jerry as to where to put the love, I would say to deepen tag functionality and a few other features first, as a priority, but I would keep stars on the list for sure.

I'm using BookMacster every day and it has given new life to (previously) mothballed stale closet of bookmarks.

IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 4:44pm:
BookMacster 1.11.1, published a few hours ago, now supports Rating (stars) of bookmarks.  It's a somewhat rudimentary in that the star ratings are thus far available only in the Inspector and not in the Content outline, and there is as yet no way to rate multiple bookmarks with one click.

http://sheepsystems.com/files/ForumMsgRefs/InspectorRatingStars.png

You can sort by Rating, in both the Sort All configuration (SettingsSorting), and in the Sort now, by… menu and contextual menu items.

Also, Ratings are not imported from or export to any Clients because, well, we couldn't find any web browsers or services that support Ratings in their bookmarks!  We tested one Firefox extension (Bookmark Rater version 1.2) but it seems to not work on a Mac.  If anyone knows of any such thing, let us know.

Yay, and thank you for implementing this! I look forward to using it.

Now, if only I could get Evernote to add star ratings to their notes! It's amazing how much pushback I've gotten when I've suggested it—it seems to be almost a religious issue for some. One guy scoffed "What, I'm going to give star ratings to my own writings?" To which I replied "No, but I sure would like to give them to OTHER people's writings that I save as notes." And then there's the "Just use tags" solution, which doesn't really work because there's no simple equivalent to searching, say, for "All items with at least 3 stars."

Sorry to go off…

IP Logged

Clyde
Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:20pm:
Clyde wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:08pm:
on the subject of the update to 1.11.1, I noticed that broken functionality in setting my client safe sync limit is now working with 1.11.1.
It's moot.  We were going to publish 1.11.1 on the alpha channel until a few minutes before release when, fortunately, another user reported that bug.  Fixed it quickly and put 1.11.1 on the regular production channel.

I'll try to chime in more readily when/if I find things like that as I noticed that days ago (!)  The only other thing I noticed was a "sticky" Inspector window, but I think that is fixed too in 1.11.1 (?)  I'll keep my eyes open and post if needed.  Cheers.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Clyde wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 8:08pm:
on the subject of the update to 1.11.1, I noticed that broken functionality in setting my client safe sync limit is now working with 1.11.1.
It's moot.  We were going to publish 1.11.1 on the alpha channel until a few minutes before release when, fortunately, another user reported that bug.  Fixed it quickly and put 1.11.1 on the regular production channel.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Clyde
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 4:44pm:
BookMacster 1.11.1, published a few hours ago, now supports Rating (stars) of bookmarks.  It's a somewhat rudimentary in that the star ratings are thus far available only in the Inspector and not in the Content outline, and there is as yet no way to rate multiple bookmarks with one click.... You can sort by Rating, in both the Sort All configuration (SettingsSorting), and in the Sort now, by… menu and contextual menu items....

I'm sure the usefulness will evolve - as you say, it's somewhat rudimentary.  I use stars in programs such as iTunes, & Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, so that I can quickly locate my "4 star photos" or my "4 star songs" etc. Perhaps similar to "Flags" in Mail.app where I might red flag a bill to be paid, etc.   So after rating by whichever I want to be able to find them quickly (as by a smart folder), which is why, for me, I associate it with a tag in BookMacster.  I'll be watching the evolution of stars but I don't find much in this for my needs at this time.  I am loving "Tags" however and they are factoring in big in my BookMacster world. 

(And this is off the topic of this post, but on the subject of the update to 1.11.1, I noticed that broken functionality in setting my client safe sync limit is now working with 1.11.1.  I'll open a new topic if you want, but, it's working, so perhaps moot Smiley  )

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
BookMacster 1.11.1, published a few hours ago, now supports Rating (stars) of bookmarks.  It's a somewhat rudimentary in that the star ratings are thus far available only in the Inspector and not in the Content outline, and there is as yet no way to rate multiple bookmarks with one click.

You can sort by Rating, in both the Sort All configuration (SettingsSorting), and in the Sort now, by… menu and contextual menu items.

Also, Ratings are not imported from or export to any Clients because, well, we couldn't find any web browsers or services that support Ratings in their bookmarks!  We tested one Firefox extension (Bookmark Rater version 1.2) but it seems to not work on a Mac.  If anyone knows of any such thing, let us know.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Clyde
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2012 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Rob,
What might be an immediate solution is to use tags.  I know tags are not the same exactly, but it might be an immediate workaround for now.
I was just devising a tag layout for myself to flag websites to revisit, or that are pretty cool as you say, etc.
For you, I can imagine making you tags which are 1,2,3,4,5.  "The Tag Cloud is ordered alphanumerically starting at the top left." (from the Help item 2.1.2) and so your ratings would be the top thing in the Cloud.
For myself, I just made a tag "revisit often" and will refine my schema as the thought develops.   
Hope this thought is helpful. 
Clyde

IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2012 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Hi. Just a ping to see if you've had the chance to give any further consideration to this idea.

IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:33am:
Hello again, Rob.

Actually, we have a hook in our data model to do that, but have never implemented it.  I've never thought through how such a thing would be used, but we'll give it some thought.  One of the web browsers, I forgot which, uses star ratings.

And thanks for the tip on "zero" stars.  That makes sense.

Here's how I'd use it: I have scads of old bookmarks going back years. I certainly don't remember anything about many of them. Sometimes if I'm just looking for something interesting to check out, I'll visit a random old bookmark. If it had, say, a 4-star rating indicating "this is pretty cool" I'd have a better basis on which to select.

One should of course be able to sort on number of stars.

There is of course the argument "Well, if you didn't think it was worthwhile, why did you bookmark it in the first place?" But I'd respond that 1 star means it exceeds some minimum level of coolness; worthwhile if not enthralling. And of course, things change. I might want to change a star rating if either the site or my tastes evolve over time.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Hello again, Rob.

Actually, we have a hook in our data model to do that, but have never implemented it.  I've never thought through how such a thing would be used, but we'll give it some thought.  One of the web browsers, I forgot which, uses star ratings.

And thanks for the tip on "zero" stars.  That makes sense.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Feature Request: star ratings
Mar 12th, 2012 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I was wishing for a way to rank my bookmarks in terms of how much I like them. How about the typical "1 to 5 stars" idea, like iTunes, iPhoto, and many other programs?

If you like the idea, there should be this clarification: 0 stars doesn't mean "bottom of the barrel"; it should mean "no star rating assigned yet".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint