Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) merging? (Read 7892 times)
saggymac
Ex Member
Re: merging?
Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Appreciate the response. Will try this later today. Thanks.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:57am
Print Post  
So the only problem is that the FileQuick ImportSafari (QuikMerge, no delete) is not supposed to delete existing items, but it is.

Well, it worked the last time I tested it, but since this feature has been re-implemented and re-tested for the next version of BookMacster already, I don't want to waste your time or mine on it.  Let's assume/pretend it's a bug and use a different method.

So you've got this Bookmarkshelf document which has bookmarks imported from one Mac.  You can create another Bookmarkshelf with the other Mac's bookmarks, then manually merge the two together.
  • Sit down at the Mac whose bookmarks do not exist in your Bookmarkshelf document.
  • Click in the menu: FileNew Bookmarkshelf.
  • Call this one something like "Temporary.bkmslf".
  • Switch on Clients: Safari, Chrome.
  • Import now (Do It)
  • Move Temporary.bkmslf into your Dropbox also.

So now you've got two Bookmarkshelf documents in your Dropbox, one with bookmarks from Mac A and the other with bookmarks from Mac B. 
  • Open both of them on one Mac.
  • Copy folders and bookmarks from Temporary.bkmslf to the other one that you're going to keep.  The contextual menu item Copy to… is handy for this.  Or, drag and drop.
  • After you've copied everything out of Temporary.bkmslf, activate it and click in the menu: FileClose and Delete, then OK to trash it.
  • Finish up as outlined in my previous message, starting with After all bookmarks are in place….

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

saggymac
Ex Member
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:37am
Print Post  
More info ...

I just copied the shelf from Mac A to Mac B. Closed the dropbox based shelf on Mac B, and opened the copied shelf in Bookmacster. Then tried to import the set of bookmarks on Mac B into this new local copied bookmark shelf. Still doesn't merge. It replaces.

Any other ideas? Need more info?

Thanks.

IP Logged

saggymac
Ex Member
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Thank you for your response. Here is some followup information.

First, indeed, I anticipated that (not syncing through file share) was going to cause confusion. To clarify, by that I meant that the checkbox in the far right of the simple agents setting UI is not checked.

As for the merging, I followed the steps you provided. Here's what happens. Mac A had 110 bookmarks. Mac B has a completely different set (28 bookmarks). So although the Dropbox bookmark shelf had sync'd and was opened in Bookmacster (showing the 110 bookmarks), as soon as I go to File>QuickImport>Merge option ... all of those 110 disappear and are replaced by the 28. And then dropbox sync's that over to Mac A, and now Bookmacster shows 28 bookmarks on Mac A. Same behavior that I experienced yesterday.

I'm going to try pulling the bookmark shelf out of dropbox. Importing from Mac A to gen a bookmark shelf. Copy that to Mac B, import/merge there. Then place the bookmark shelf into Dropbox.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Hello saggymac,

If think you're saying that the bookmarks collections on your two Macs are not identical and you need to merge them.  Also, in your step 5, you say that you're "not syncing through file share yet".  But if that Bookmarkshelf document file is in your Dropbox folder, and you have enabled Agents in BookMacster, then you are syncing, unless you've taken one of the computers offline or clicked Pause Syncing in Dropbox.

You should turn off (pause) agents in BookMacster and get everything merged and synced manually first.

Do this on Mac A…
  • Hold down the 'option' key.
  • Activate BookMacster.
  • Hold down the 'option' key again.
  • Click in the menu: FileOpen Recent to open that Bookmarkshelf document which is in your Dropbox.
  • If the button in the middle of the toolbar is titled Pause, click it to pause syncing.
  • Click to the tab SettingsAgents and verify that either checkboxes are switched off, or that it says Sync is Paused!
  • Click to the tab SettingsOpen/Save and verify checkboxes Auto Import and  Auto Export  are switched off.  (This is so that you don't need to hold down the 'option' key any more).

Repeat the above steps on Mac B.

After Dropbox does its thing, the Bookmarkshelf document on both Macs should have exactly the same content, because BookMacster watches for changes and re-opens automatically.

See what bookmarks are missing, and use the menu item FileQuick ImportWhatever Quick Merge (No Delete) menu item to bring in whatever bookmarks are missing.  Wait for Dropbox to sync, and wait for the file/window to re-open before moving between Macs.  (For future readers, starting in BookMacster 1.10.2, the name of this menu item will be Import from one Client and there will be only one menu item for each browser instead of 2.)

After all bookmarks are in place in your Bookmarkshelf Document, on either Mac, click in the menu: BookmarkshelfExport (Chrome, Safari).  If you've changed a substantial number of items, you'll get a warning about it.  If it makes sense to you, click Export Anyhow.  After the export is complete, just for good measure, do it again.  Then click BookmarkshelfImport.  Verify that, after a couple rounds of Export/Import, the summary in the Status Bar at the bottom of the window indicates zero changes: +0 Δ0 ↖0 ↕0 -0.  Repeat on the other Mac.

Let us know if you have any trouble with that.

If all goes well, when you're done, click the Resume button in the toolbar on both Macs to resume syncing, or else switch the checkboxes back ON in SettingsAgents.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

saggymac
Ex Member
merging?
Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
New bookmacster user, so I might just be confused about how this works. But I'm having a problem merging the bookmarks from one of my macs into the shelf created on another mac (and published through dropbox). HEre's the steps I took...

1. On Mac A, create new bookmark shelf, and import bookmarks from safari and chrome.
2. Publish that (i.e., move it to dropbox using the bookmacster api) to Dropbox. Still on Mac A.
3. Move to Mac B, install Bookmacster, and have it open the shelf in my dropbox folder. All 110 bookmarks are there.
4. Setup settings>clients to interact with safari and chrome.
5. Setup settings>agents just like on Mac A (not syncing through file share yet).
6. Try to import ...

I've tried using Bookmarkshelf menu, and "Import" menu item. I've also tried using File menu, Quick import, Safari (Quick merge - no delete). In both cases (though results were different) I ended up in the Content pane with significantly less bookmarks. So I undo the import and scratch my temple.

Please advise, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint