Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Feature Request: Various ;) (Read 4420 times)
amix
Re: Feature Request: Various ;)
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 3:03pm:
amix wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 10:31am:
There is people, who say, that bookmarks are old-fashioned 90's crap, since Google is to service
I was discussing this with a librarian at MacWorld last year.  He summed it up well:  People who are older than us print everything out on paper.  People who are our age use bookmarks.  People who are younger than us just use Google and hope for the best.

Hah! This is very good! And so true!

When consolidating folders … the list was so long …
We've not spent much time on that feature because it's something that most people only use once in their lives, and if there are too many to fit on the screen, I think the user is either going to say Hmmm, I don't want to do this, or else There are too many to read through, but it's got the right idea.  Let's do it and see what happens.

Exactly how I did it. First I was annoyed by the long list, which I could not see through. So I undid it. The next time I risked it, after having backed up my places.sql, and let things happen. However, I had to risk it, since there was no other way. I would say, this feature is really seldomly in use, but at least at every merge of bookmarks for different profiles (Firefox) or browsers.

folders, that have been closed [should] stay that way.
Maybe your steps are different?

I was unclear. Not between document openings, but while working.

* scan for duplicates
* decide no to touch some dupes now, but maybe later (so it's not wise to exclude them from later scans). Just collapse their folders, in order to have a cleaner list and an indication.
* remove a dupe.
* all folders become expanded in list

I am on the 3 day eval license.
When it expires, you can click the Demo button two more times.  So you get a total of 9 days, spread over as long as you want.  And you can always ask us for more.

Good to know! Thanks a lot!

Greetings, Andreas

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Feature Request: Various ;)
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Andreas.  There are a lot of good ideas for us to chew on here.  For now, I'll just hit on a few things that jumped out at me and that I can answer quickly.

There is people, who say, that bookmarks are old-fashioned 90's crap, since Google is to service
I was discussing this with a librarian at MacWorld last year.  He summed it up well:  People who are older than us print everything out on paper.  People who are our age use bookmarks.  People who are younger than us just use Google and hope for the best.

I have found, that it is much more easy to search through 10.000's of bookmarks than 1.000.000's of Google results.
Also, I think that inconvenience of typing on iOS devices is bringing some people back to bookmarks in Safari.

When consolidating folders … the list was so long …
We've not spent much time on that feature because it's something that most people only use once in their lives, and if there are too many to fit on the screen, I think the user is either going to say Hmmm, I don't want to do this, or else There are too many to read through, but it's got the right idea.  Let's do it and see what happens.  BookMacster's Undo is quite comprehensive.

folders, that have been closed [should] stay that way.
As far as I know, they do stay collapsed/expanded.  Under the hood, BookMacster sets such an attribute on each folder.  I just tested it, and it still works.  Here are the steps to reproduce…

• Collapse a folder.
• Close the document.
• Reopen the document.

Expected and Actual result: Collapsed folder is still collapsed.

Maybe your steps are different?

I am on the 3 day eval license.
When it expires, you can click the Demo button two more times.  So you get a total of 9 days, spread over as long as you want.  And you can always ask us for more.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

amix
Feature Request: Various ;)
Nov 15th, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hello,

let me first express my gratitude for a bookmark management utility, where the developer does not exhaust her/his energy in doing fluffy stuff, that is not really needed for actually managing bookmarks, like webpage-previews, etc. Wink Bookmarks are a beast and this is why we need some powerful sorting and managing stuff. I use different browsers on different platforms, mostly Firefox, but somtimes it is Chrome, sometimes Safari. I have well over 10.000 bookmarks now.

There is people, who say, that bookmarks are old-fashioned 90's crap, since Google is to service, however, I have found, that it is much more easy to search through 10.000's of bookmarks than 1.000.000's of Google results. That's why I keep important things locally.

However, with such a large collection, things become impossible to administer manually. Also, my habits have changed since Firefox can tag bookmarks. I usually just tag them and all go into "Unsorted". I got over 5000 there now! Still I would like to sort them into a hierarchical list of catgories. Tags alone are not enough. And this is where my wishes are...

It would be nice to have some magic helping in the categorization and tagging. Something like the search enhanced in a way, that, at the end, an action, even better, a flow of actions, can be administered to the result. For exaple I would want to ensure, that all bookmarks tagged with "Python", "Django", "Twisted" and all Bookmarks with "Python", "Django", "Twisted" in their title got to the folder "Programming/Python" and get the tags "Programming, Python" for sure. Then I would like to have those, who have either "Django" or "Twisted" in their title, but lack the same tag, get tagged with it, in addition to "Computer". Once such filters+actions combinations are set up, it could be chosen to administer them at the import as well.

Another interesting thing would be "buckets". These would be rules like the aformentioned but they would do more. They could act in real-time, when using Bookmacster as bookmark tool while surfing. And they could be used with some additional technology: Word lists, URL lists and tag lists. Okay, I am going to stop here, since this could be expanded way more, like scraping web-pages and trying to analyze their content. But that maybe out of scope. Also "if this then that, otherwise" flows may be too complex. Too bad Applescript and Automator suck (they are too slow and Automator is everything but easy to use). It could be done that way, then.

So, to sum it up, it would be nice if I could do some automation on moving bookmarks to folders and tagging them. Everything I tag with "Python" is also being tagged with "Programming" and "Computer", for example, so this could be automatic.

Another problem I have are the lists Bookmacster offers. When consolidating folders, I got 37 merged and 124 deleted. However, I only could have a review of the first ones, since the list was so long, that it did not fit onto the screen and scrolling it was not possible. Have a look at the attached picture.

Oh, and it would be really helpful, if folders, that have been closed, stay that way. This is especially nerving, when having a large list of duplicates, and some I want to keep that way (or decide later) and close them, in order to have a better overview on the list, but they always keep reopening. Same is true for the main bookmarks list. Could anything be done about this? I mean it's the user who closed it, so he may want it that way.

It would be nice, if I could set a source for searching: set source to hardfolder;search within results for softfolders

Thanks, Andreas

P.S. I am on the 3 day eval license.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:52pm by amix »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint