Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Where is my bookmarkshelf?! (Read 13136 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Where is my bookmarkshelf?!
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Thanks for the follow-up.  Although I've had my Open Recents disappear on me in other apps once in a while, I'll do some analysis and see if there's any way we can make this less likely to happen.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

theosteve
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Yes, I dragged it onto BookMacster as soon as I located it, and it opened fine, all bookmarks intact. I'm so relieved!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:50am
Print Post  
I think it's a "feature" of Mac OS X that if a document fails to open, it is forgotten from the Open Recents submenu.  Have you tried to open that document yet?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

theosteve
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Thank goodness! It showed up when I checked the Bookmarkshelf Documents folder. Thanks for the advice! Any idea why BookMacster would have lost it's connection with the bookmarkshelf?

IP Logged

theosteve
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Thanks for the response, Jerry. Yes, the "File>Open Recent" showed nothing when I tried it.

I check that location, and, if necessary, the trouble zipper.

Here's hoping!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Hello, Steve.  The update should not have affected your data.

This may be obvious, but since you didn't mention you did this, the first thing you'd do to find a document, as in any document-based Mac app, is to click in the menu: FileOpen Recent.

If that comes up empty, then indeed something weird has happened.

Next, look in the default location for .bkmslf files is:

~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster/Bookmarkshelf Documents

To get there,

• Activate Finder.
• Hold down the 'option' key on your keyboard.
• Click in the menu: GoLibrary.  A window to your Library folder will open
• Navigate from there into Application Support.
• Navigate from there into BookMacster.
• Navigate from there into Bookmarkshelf Documents.

If you don't find it in there, try BookMacster's Trouble Zipper which has quite a thorough .bkmslf searcher built into it.  Normally, this tool is used for sending data to us, but what it actually does is to bundle up the data into a zip archive on your Desktop.  Instead of sending it to us, you can open it yourself…

• Activate BookMacster.
• Click in the menu: HelpTrouble Zipper.
• Answer Don't Include Bookmarks.
• Answer Don't Include Sync Logs.
• To Question F (Last Question) answer Search.

After if finishes, double-click to unzip the archive it produces on your Desktop.  Look in the subfolder named Bkmslfs.  If your file is in there, you can find where Trouble Zipper found it, by reading the file _OriginalPaths.txt.

Let us know what you find.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

theosteve
Where is my bookmarkshelf?!
Feb 8th, 2013 at 1:36am
Print Post  
I'm very distressed. I have been using BookMacster for several months now, and love it. I've spent a couple of hours sorting and tagging what was my previously disheveled assortment of bookmarks on my various browsers. I'm on a Mac Pro running Lion. I set the preferences to automatically sync the bookmarks on all my browsers. It's worked brilliantly all this time. I've kept current, and am currently running 1.13.1.

I attempted to add another bookmark to BookMacster today for the first time since my last upgrade. The inspector wouldn't come up. and when I clicked on the menulet, it showed "no bookmark is open." I searched through my Mac for a .bkmslf file, but came up with nothing.

What happened? Did the upgrade somehow lose my file? Do I need to look for something else? Please advise--I'll be sick if I have to sort my bookmarks again, and have lost all of the bookmarks I added in the meantime!

Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint