Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMaster Disappeared! (Read 14873 times)
ScottO
Re: BookMaster Disappeared!
Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Jerry, followed the steps and apparently all is well. The strange part of all this is I remember doing all of these things (agent config, export, import) when I first installed BookMacster. Also I am positive I did the zip file download and double click things. So why the whole thing should disappear is beyond me and, I guess you. Strange. But thank you again. Scott

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 2:37am
Print Post  
ScottO wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:56am:
Sorry, one other observation. My bookmacster file (bookmarkshelf) does not stay open or active. I run it using import/export and it closes. Therefore, sorting will not happen on the fly. Is there a setting to keep it running?
I've never seen a Bookmarkshelf window close by itself, unless I did something to make BookMacster crash, but then Mac OS X would present one of those nasty Application has unexpectedly quit dialogs.

There is a setting to make sorting happen automatically.

• Near the top of the window is a row of tabs.  Click the tab: Settings, then Agents.  You will see a little picture with 4 checkboxes.
• Switch on the first checkbox, Import changes from Clieints.
• A warning will appear.  Click button Pause.
• Switch on the second checkbox, Sort (Alphabetize).
• Switch on the third checkbox, Export Results to Clients.
• Click the tab Open/Save.
• Make sure that all checkboxes are OFF except the top one, Automatically open this document when BookMacster launches.
• Click the tab Content.
• In the toolbar, the Syncing tool has a red exclamation point in it.  Click it.
• The same warning you saw before will appear.  Read what happens if you click Export, and if you agree that all is OK, click the Export button.
• Quit BookMacster.

From then on, your Safari bookmarks will be sorted (alphabetized) silently, within 6 minutes after you make a change.  7 minutes if iCloud - Safari is switched on in System Preferences.  Launch BookMacster only if you want to do major bookmarks reoganization or change settings.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 2:21am
Print Post  
ScottO wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:54am:
Getting it to Applications and ensuring it actually was running was two separate operations.
YES.  Indeed, they are.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 2:19am
Print Post  
ScottO wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:48am:
Please dont take this personally but that's a whole lot of stuff to do just to get bookmarks in alphabetical order.
Once you have Agents configured, those three steps are done automatically, silently.  Users who just want their Safari bookmarks sorted alphabetically  sometimes go for months without even touching BookMacster.  Someday we may have a stripped-down BookMacster Lite which does only that.  It will be easier to get going.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ScottO
Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Sorry, one other observation. My bookmacster file (bookshelf) does not stay open or active. I run it using import/export and it closes. Therefore, sorting will not happen on the fly. Is there a setting to keep it running?

IP Logged

ScottO
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:54am
Print Post  
I watched your video. Here's the difference. I downloaded the zip file and it ended up in the upper right hand corner in a list. I double clicked it at that point and it was unzipped and installed. It put an icon in the dock but nowhere else. Getting it to Applications and ensuring it actually was running was two separate operations.

IP Logged

ScottO
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Thank you for all your help. I followed the steps in your most recent post and bookmarks are indeed sorted. It seems a couple of things were going on. I did finally succeed in getting the Bookmaster icon into Applications. I had to  right click on the icon in the Dock and used the Options, Show in Finder. Then I had to move it to Applications and alphabetize. Then for some reason, the bookshelf file wasnt loaded so I had to load it then follow the steps you provided import, export, etc. Please dont take this personally but that's a whole lot of stuff to do just to get bookmarks in alphabetical order. But again, I do very much appreciate your help.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
ScottO wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:58pm:
Also, my bookmark shelf (or whatever its called) was retained but no actual sorting takes place...  One other clue: the bookmarks are sorted in Bookmacster (the bookshelf file) but not in Safari itself.
There are three things that need to happen for Safari bookmarks to be sorted.

• An Import operation imports bookmarks from Safari to BookMacster.
• Bookmarks are sorted in BookMacster.
• An Export operation replaces the bookmarks in Safari with the sorted bookmarks from BookMacster.

To start out, you should do these operations manually, by clicking in the menu

BookmarkshelfImport
BookmarkshelfSort All
BookmarkshelfExport

You can also confiture an Agent (tab SettingsAgents) to do all three steps automatically when Safari bookmarks are changed.  But if BookMacster is moving around as we try to install it, Agents might not work.

Please get BookMacster installed into /Applications, do the manual BookmarkshelfExport, and let us know if that works.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
ScottO wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 8:31pm:
It appeared in the upper right hand corner of Safari. I double clicked that and I guess it installed and put a shortcut on my Dock. But nothing entered the Applications display. And I cant drag the short cut to the Applications area.
Well, I'm not sure what happened there, Scott.  Safari will not launch a downloaded app when I do that.

ScottO wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 8:31pm:
Also, this is exactly how I installed it the first time. So, now what?

• Quit BookMacster if it is running.
• Activate Finder.
• Click in the menu: Go ▸ Applications.
• A window will open.

See if a BookMacster application is in there.

If so, doubleclick to launch it and verify that it works.  If not, please watch this 71-second video I just produced which shows how to download and install BookMacster, then try it one more time.

http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/movies/bkmx-download-install/

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ScottO
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
One other clue: the bookmarks are sorted in Bookmacster (the bookshelf file) but not in Safari itself.

IP Logged

ScottO
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Also, my bookmark shelf (or whatever its called) was retained but no actual sorting takes place...

IP Logged

ScottO
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Okay, well that's got to be the strangest application install I've done. First, Bookmaster did not appear in the Applications display. I did as you said and downloaded the zip file. It appeared in the upper right hand corner of Safari. I double clicked that and I guess it installed and put a shortcut on my Dock. But nothing entered the Applications display. And I cant drag the short cut to the Applications area. Also, this is exactly how I installed it the first time. So, now what?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
ScottO wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 4:11pm:
about three days later, the BookMaster icon vanished from the Dock, Applications and any other place I tried to find it at....Please help if possible! Thank you,Scott
Hello, Scott.  First of all, let me say that all of your bookmarks data is probably safe.  Like all properly-designed Mac apps, BookMacster does not keep any data in its application package.

No, do you mean to say that the BookMacster application package has vanished from your /Applications folder?  In other words,

• Activate Finder.
• Click in the menu: Go ▸ Applications.  A window opens.
• View the items alphabetically.

Expected Result: BookMacster should be among the "B" items.
Actual Result: BookMacster is absent.

If that is the issue, probably what happened is that you downloaded the BookMacster disk image and used it from within the disk image.  Disk images are automatically dismounted and disappear when you restart your computer.  This is easy to fix.  Simply redownload BookMacster from us…

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/BookMacster.zip

If the zip archive does not decompress automatically, double-click it.  You should see a BookMacster application package bearing our blue/green/red bookmarks icon.  Drag it into that /Applications window, and then doubleclick to launch it.  Your bookmarks documents, settings, license, etc. should all load as it did previously.

Since BookMacster has now been copied to your /Applications folder, it will still be there the next time you restart your Mac.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ScottO
BookMaster Disappeared!
Feb 21st, 2013 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I purchased BookMaster and installed on a MacBook Pro to alphabetize bookmarks in Safari. Despite a confusing configuration process, all went well and it was functioning as advertised. Then, about three days later, the BookMaster icon vanished from the Dock, Applications and any other place I tried to find it at....Please help if possible! Thank you,Scott

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint