Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Multiple versions in Application Support Folder (Read 11259 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Multiple versions in Application Support Folder
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
While poking around yesterday I discovered that the Sparkle updater used by BookMacster (and many other apps) places the new version of the app in the Application Support folder before copying them to their final destination and then deleting them.  So if something went wrong with the system or BookMacster between the unzip step and the delete step, you'd end up with the app in Application Support as Spaceman found, and certainly that is what happened.

Now, I run Sparkle frequently and never had it crash or anything.  A power failure or system crash during that window of time might occur once in a lifetime, but not a bunch.  Maybe Spaceman has a weird ACL (access control list) which denies delete permission in that folder.  That would do it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2014 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Thank you, John.  This is still in our News of the Weird file, but in this business, you never know.  Every time I think I've seen everything, I get surprised.  It's also in the back of my mind in case I ever think of a possible cause.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2014 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Jerry,

Just as a bit of additional info. The machine that I took the screen shot from was my work MacBook Pro running 10.8.5.

I have just checked my home computer (a 2010 Mac Pro) running 10.9.2, and it too has several of these BookMacster.zip files in the Application Support folder. Not as many, only 5, but they are there.

Just another data point in case you have someone else report this issue.

Regards,

John

IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Jerry,

Thanks. They are gone. That saved me some space  Grin

Regards,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Spaceman wrote on Apr 23rd, 2014 at 8:39pm:
OK, I am adding a screen shot that starts with my Application Support folder and I have opened up each of the BookMacster folders within.
Thank you for the screenshot.  That is really weird.  A bunch  of last years' BookMacster updates.  I have no idea how those got there, but they are definitely of no use, and might possibly cause confusion someday if the real BookMacster is not available for some reason.

So, … you are saying that I can delete all of these folders?
You should delete them.

I do have one and only one BookMacster application within my Applications folder. Updates do seem to delete older ones from there. That is why I was surprised to find so many in my Library/Application Support folder.
I am just as surprised.

Spaceman wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 6:46pm:
I had assumed that [the .bkmslf document files named with ~ or #] were incremental backups
Actually, they are complete document files that were set off to the side and stopped being updated after a major update, just in case something went wrong.  At this point, you may delete them.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 8:46pm:
Congratulations on the new Mac, Spaceman.

BookMacster folder in 'Application Support' contains over 500mb of folders that contain what appear to be various BookMacster versions (and associated .zip versions).
Your ~/Application Support/ folder is for just what the name implies – application data, not for applications themselves.  You should not have any BookMacster.app application packages in there at all.  You should have only one, the latest, located at /Applications/BookMacster.app.  I don't know how those would have collected there.  When BookMacster's built-in updater updates itself, the old version goes into ~/Trash/.

OK, I am adding a screen shot that starts with my Application Support folder and I have opened up each of the BookMacster folders within.

So, I assume that you are saying that I can delete all of these folders? I do have one and only one BookMacster application within my Applications folder. Updates do seem to delete older ones from there. That is why I was surprised to find so many in my Library/Application Support folder.

While looking at my Dropbox folder where I keep my bookmarks, I found the following files (in addition to the '…~~~.bkmslf backups).

Bookmarkshelf (Spaceman's Laptops conflicted copy 2011-06-20).bkmslf)
Bookmarkshelf (Spaceman's Laptops conflicted copy 2011-09-04).bkmslf)
Bookmarkshelf (Spaceman's-Mac-Proconflicted copy 2012-08-21).bkmslf)
Bookmarkshelf.unreadable.bkmslf
Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf

…can delete these 5 files?
Jerry Krinock wrote on Apr 21st, 2014 at 8:46pm:
Regarding the first four, yes, delete them.  Same goes for any file with a ~ in the name.  Regarding Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf, you should delete that if it is no longer in use.  Assuming that you are using only one .bkmslf file, to find out where it is, open it, hold down the ⌘ key on your keyboard and click the title of the window.

The Help Book has sections which give more information on BookMacster's document files.

Each document file has associated with it a triplet of Settings.sql, Exids.sql and Diaries.sql.  So if you have one document, you should have one of each.  BookMacster should, after 60 days, delete any of those .sql files whose documents have been deleted.

Getting back to the first item, it would be interesting to know what is archiving old versions of BookMacster!

OK, looked in the help book about the ~ files. I had assumed that they were incremental backups :-0

I'll delete them as well.

As far as what is causing the additional version with the Library/Applications Support folder, I have no idea.

Regards,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on the new Mac, Spaceman.

BookMacster folder in 'Application Support' contains over 500mb of folders that contain what appear to be various BookMacster versions (and associated .zip versions).
Your ~/Application Support/ folder is for just what the name implies – application data, not for applications themselves.  You should not have any BookMacster.app application packages in there at all.  You should have only one, the latest, located at /Applications/BookMacster.app.  I don't know how those would have collected there.  When BookMacster's built-in updater updates itself, the old version goes into ~/Trash/.

While looking at my Dropbox folder where I keep my bookmarks, I found the following files (in addition to the '…~~~.bkmslf backups).

Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf

…can delete these 5 files?
Regarding the first four, yes, delete them.  Same goes for any file with a ~ in the name.  Regarding Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf, you should delete that if it is no longer in use.  Assuming that you are using only one .bkmslf file, to find out where it is, open it, hold down the ⌘ key on your keyboard and click the title of the window.

The Help Book has sections which give more information on BookMacster's document files.

Each document file has associated with it a triplet of Settings.sql, Exids.sql and Diaries.sql.  So if you have one document, you should have one of each.  BookMacster should, after 60 days, delete any of those .sql files whose documents have been deleted.

Getting back to the first item, it would be interesting to know what is archiving old versions of BookMacster!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Multiple versions in Application Support Folder
Apr 21st, 2014 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I am doing some computer house cleaning prior to switching to a new computer. I have noticed that my BookMacster folder in 'Application Support' contains over 500mb of folders that contain what appear to be various BookMacster versions (and associated .zip versions).

So, my first question is, can I delete all of these except that latest one?

Bookmarkshelf-001.bkmslf

Second question, can delete these 5 files?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint