Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Favorites Bar problems setting up (Read 5659 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Favorites Bar problems setting up
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Protagonist wrote on Jun 7th, 2014 at 2:38pm:
Just to clarify a bit one thing that was happening was I would drag or delete a link from the favorites bar and as soon as the program did a sync the only thing left in the FB would be Top Sites and the show bookmarks sidebar icons. This happened repeatedly. It did the same thing when I deleted links from a folder in the FB.
Well, you saw the cookies disappear from the cookie jar, but you don't know what was the invisible hand that did it.  Possibly, BookMacster just rearranged them, as it should, and then iCloud saw what BookMacster did, came in and gobbled them up.  I've seen that happen if iCloud does not have proper records for the rearranged items.

…on the iCloud sync … Just to be safe I turned it off on my iMac as well.
OK, but just remember if you ever turn it back on, the bad records and corruption, if any, might still be there until you do the clean and rebuild.

To avoid confusion can you remove that part of the post?  Thanks again.
Not sure what part you mean.  Do you mean the last paragraph, the part that I have now struck out?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Protagonist
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Sorry, I should have mentioned I was talking about Safari. I was playing with it a bit further this morning and I did a folder copy from the Favorites bar, FB, to the Bookmarks in the content window of BookMacster. I let it sync and the copy worked flawlessly doing that. The links showed up in Safari. It seems to be working now that I put all the folders back in the FB last night.

Just to clarify a bit one thing that was happening was I would drag or delete a link from the favorites bar and as soon as the program did a sync the only thing left in the FB would be Top Sites and the show bookmarks sidebar icons. This happened repeatedly. It did the same thing when I deleted links from a folder in the FB.

BTW, nice catch on the iCloud sync. Since I actually have that turned on but  have it disabled on my iPhone I should be fine. I had forgotten about that. To avoid confusion can you remove that part of the post? Just to be safe I turned it off on my iMac as well. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Hello, Protagonist.

I'm not sure that your trouble is over.  It looks like you're talking about Safari.  There should be no problem putting bookmarks into folders in the Favorites Bar.  Just to be sure, I just tried what I think you just described: Folders in Favorites Bar, BookMacster configured to sync and sort Safari, added a bookmark in Safari to one of the folders.  Result: No problem: Bookmarks in the folder were sorted and nothing disappeared.

Such disappearance as you describe may be the work of a corrupted iCloud.

If the trouble recurs, let us know, and tell us whether or not iCloud : Safari syncing is switched on.  That's in System Preferences > iCloud … there is a checkbox for "Safari".  Do you have that on?

Also, regarding replacing the Bookmarks.plist file from a Time Machine backup – and this goes for everyone – don't do that if iCloud : Safari syncing is switched on.  That can result in a big mess eventually.

We have a support page that explains various safe ways of restoring bookmarks that were inadvertently exported over.  As explained in there, all four of our apps in fact archive the Bookmarks.plist file (or equivalent files in other browsers) under the hood prior to every export.  We call these Sync Snapshots.  By default, it saves 5 most recent snapshots, but you can set that number in Preferences > Syncing.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.  I hope that your bookmarks are going to be just fine, but if not, let us know.   Or if indeed you have been using iCloud : Safari as I suspect, read this article on what causes and how to rebuild corrupt iCloud bookmarks.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Protagonist
Favorites Bar problems setting up
Jun 7th, 2014 at 5:16am
Print Post  
I just wanted to pass on a problem I encountered and the solution that worked for me. The problem was more of my own making and having to do with the way my bookmarks were set up. I have to admit it never really dawned on me how this was working when I was doing it.   Smiley

Anyway it seems I was putting all my bookmarks under folders in the favorites bar instead of in the bookmarks folder. It was just one of those things you do without thinking about it. This caused all of my bookmarks on the Favorites bar to disappear every time I added. removed or changed a bookmark there. I still have not figured out why the items disappear from the bar but there is a fairly simple remedy.

What I ended up doing was opening the bookmark shelf file and moving the folders and bookmarks into the favorites bar under the content section. I can now add, remove and change items in the Favorites bar and they sync properly.

And a suggestion for anyone running into problems setting things up in BookMacster. If you have already messed up your  bookmarks in Safari open Time Machine to the ~/Library/Safari folder and restore the Bookmarks.plist file to a date prior to installing BookMacster. And while you are at it option click on the file and drag a copy to your desktop. That way all you have to do is option click the file on the desktop and drag it back in to the folder to restore everything back to your starting point.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2014 at 2:53pm by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint