Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) selective Sync between Firefox profiles (Read 16720 times)
Achim
Ex Member
Re: selective Sync between Firefox profiles
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I tried to work with a XBEL file as a „Rube Goldberg in the middle“. Export works, but trying to import from the file i receive an „Error: 654784 - Error parsing XBEL
───── Underlying Cause ─────
The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSXMLParserErrorDomain error 9.)“

So i'll stop experimenting and rather wait for an eventual update.

IP Logged

Achim
Ex Member
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry, you made my day reminding me of Mr. Goldberg, and yes, i really felt like setting up an incredible machine when giving the iCab/2 BMshelf documents idea a try, feeling safe with Bookmacster as backup. It worked when importing/expoerting manually, on the other hand the agent seemed to do nothing (but i never had iCab running, except for manual Import/Export) on a local machine. The fun came with the firefox sync nodes - all firefox clients on remote machines showed doubled up empty folders and a lot of what once were subfolders empty in 'Unsorted Bookmarks'. It may be a Firefox Sync problem.

I shut the experiment down, waiting for an eventual implementation for the Export filter. At the moment i even have sync problems with Safari with one Bookmarkshelf doc and one agent (waiting for iCloud and exiting with an error, in silent mode workers piling up). Well i'll give it more testing, enough for today Smiley

And yes, the aggregate Import indeed respects the Export Exclusion rules perfectly!

Quote:
Jerry Krinock wrote on Jun 25th, 2014 at 2:00am:
brauchichdas@gmx.d wrote on Jun 24th, 2014 at 1:05pm:
I want to sync only selected soft folders between two Firefox profiles. Firefox Sync is in use at both of them but with different accounts (all bookmarks, work only).
I understand.  Yes, you want Export Exclusions to be more granular, per-Client instead of per-browser.

My idea now was to sync the selected folders to another browser like iCab employing Export Exclusions. Using a second Bookmarkshelf document i sync iCab and Firefox's Work account.  Would that work or is this just creating mess?
It would definitely be a Rube Goldberg contraption.  First of all, iCab is not a good choice because we can only sync iCab when it quits.  Safari, Chrome and Firefox are the only browsers that we can watch for changes, and Safari is the only browser for which we can observe changes while it is not running.  See attached drawing.  Although I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work, we're getting into untested territory.

I thought it would be good to have individual Import settings for each client for defining how to deal with unmatched items.
In Settings > Clients, when you click the Advanced (gear icon) buttons, there is no Delete unmatched items for each Client; only for the aggregate Import.  I think you're suggesting that it would be necessary to switch this on when importing from the "work only" client, so that items would not be deleted.  That should not be necessary, if I recall correctly, because BookMacster checks to see if an unmatched item would have been excluded from an export to the client being imported from, and if so, will not delete it during an import.

Another idea would be to trigger syncs on schedules (using Advanced Agents or AppleScript/Automator) instead of bookmarks changed.  Then that guy in the middle could be a "loose" file instead of Safari or Chrome.  Schedule one, then a couple minutes later, the other.  It would be a different Rube Goldberg.

I'll let you know if I think of something better.
[/quote]

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 2:00am
Print Post  
I want to sync only selected soft folders between two Firefox profiles. Firefox Sync is in use at both of them but with different accounts (all bookmarks, work only).
I understand.  Yes, you want Export Exclusions to be more granular, per-Client instead of per-browser. [/quote]

My idea now was to sync the selected folders to another browser like iCab employing Export Exclusions. Using a second Bookmarkshelf document i sync iCab and Firefox's Work account.  Would that work or is this just creating mess?
It would definitely be a Rube Goldberg contraption.  First of all, iCab is not a good choice because we can only sync iCab when it quits.  Safari, Chrome and Firefox are the only browsers that we can watch for changes, and Safari is the only browser for which we can observe changes while it is not running.  See attached drawing.  Although I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work, we're getting into untested territory.

I thought it would be good to have individual Import settings for each client for defining how to deal with unmatched items.
In Settings > Clients, when you click the Advanced (gear icon) buttons, there is no Delete unmatched items for each Client; only for the aggregate Import.  I think you're suggesting that it would be necessary to switch this on when importing from the "work only" client, so that items would not be deleted.  That should not be necessary, if I recall correctly, because BookMacster checks to see if an unmatched item would have been excluded from an export to the client being imported from, and if so, will not delete it during an import.

Another idea would be to trigger syncs on schedules (using Advanced Agents or AppleScript/Automator) instead of bookmarks changed.  Then that guy in the middle could be a "loose" file instead of Safari or Chrome.  Schedule one, then a couple minutes later, the other.  It would be a different Rube Goldberg.

I'll let you know if I think of something better.

Rube-G.png ( 39 KB | 627 Downloads )
Rube-G.png

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Achim
Ex Member
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
This would also mean that it should be possible to define Import settings for all clients individually, like Export settings .
I'm not sure what you mean by that, Achim.

Hi Jerry,

good you ask, i think i mixed up things yesterday - actually i thought it would be good to have individual Import settings for each client for defining how to deal with unmatched items.

Quote:
Maybe if you tell us what you're trying to achieve, we could think of a way to do it now, maybe with two Bookmarkshelf documents.  Are you just trying to sync two Firefox profiles, or is there more to it than that?

Actually i want to sync only selected soft folders between two Firefox profiles. Firefox Sync is in use at both of them but with different accounts (all bookmarks, work only).

My idea now was to sync the selected folders to another browser like iCab employing Export Exclusions. Using a second Bookmarkshelf document i sync iCab and Firefox's Work account.

Would that work or is this just creating mess?

Thank you Achim

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
brauchichdas@gmx.d wrote on Jun 23rd, 2014 at 4:58pm:
Is it possible to sync only selected soft folders between different Firefox profiles? I only know of Export Exclusions between different browser types in Inspector.
Hello, Achim.  I think the answer is no.  As you've probably noticed, the Export Exclusions drawer in the Inspector has only one checkbox, for all profiles in Firefox.

Quote:
It would be cool to have all clients listed here, as in Import/Export.
When we added the Export Exclusions, the idea was, as always in this business, to cover 80% or users with 20% of the time investment.  Adding profiles to that could be done.  I've added it to the list of requests of some hypothetical BookMacster 2.0.

Quote:
This would also mean that it should be possible to define Import settings for all clients individually, like Export settings .
I'm not sure what you mean by that, Achim.

Maybe if you tell us what you're trying to achieve, we could think of a way to do it now, maybe with two Bookmarkshelf documents.  Are you just trying to sync two Firefox profiles, or is there more to it than that?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Achim
Ex Member
selective Sync between Firefox profiles
Jun 23rd, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Is it possible to sync only selected soft folders between different Firefox profiles? I only know of Export Exclusions between different browser types in Inspector.

It would be cool to have all clients listed here, as in Import/Export.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint