Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Chrome isn't Playing Well (Read 8436 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Chrome isn't Playing Well
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Kristy, I can help you out with 10.9.  Watch for my email later today.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Kristy
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry.  And bummer.

It sounds like my MacBook Air doesn't have enough RAM to run Yosemite and there doesn't appear to be a way to download the previous version of Maverick.  (Way to go Apple.  Make it incredibly difficult for your customers. That's certainly a great way to encourage them to stick with you when it comes time to upgrade.  ::sarcasm:Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
We've now reproduced the problem.  The problem was triggered by the update to our Google Chrome extensions, which were included in BookMacster, Synkmark and Markster versions 1.22.9, published on 2014 July 11.  The updated Chrome extension uses a new method, required by current and future versions of Chrome, to communicate with Chrome.  Apparently, there is something in our implementation, or a bug in OS X 10.7, or a bug in Google Chrome, that causes a Chrome subprocess to crash when one of our apps tries to communicate with it.  The basic Chrome process, itself, actually keeps running, but we can't communicate with it.

We've decided to not investigate this issue any further.  Instead, we've modified our published system requirements to indicate that BookMacster, Synkmark and Markster require OS X 10.8 or later to import from, export to, or sync with Google Chrome.  Although we could send you an old version of BookMacster, Synkmark or Markster upon request, that supposedly will not work for long because it uses the old method which Google has slated to stop working in some future version of Chrome.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Hello again, Kristy.

Email to support@sheepsystems.com.  Or if it won't email because it's too big, use our File Uploader.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Kristy
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:16am
Print Post  
I'm on a older Mac but it is 64-bit.  I don't have that many bookmarks or changes.  And I'm not running a developer preview of Yosemite.

Where do I e-mail the zip?  I use Gmail so the Trouble Zipper opening up the e-mail client didn't work so well for me.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Hello, Kristy.

I just retested BookMacster 1.22.25, and it exported to both Chrome 39.0.2171.95 (64-bit) with no apparent trouble.

Any chance you have an old 32-bit Mac?

There are two "nearby" issues I'm aware of.

First, if you are exporting more than about 10,000 changes (for example, 10,000 new bookmarks) to Chrome, the Sheep Systems Chromessenger tool may crash.  But Chrome itself keeps running.  The crash report will say that Chromessenger crashed.

Second, if you are running the Developer Preview of OS X Yosemite from several weeks ago, Chrome will crash whenever you touch the trackpad.  It will do this with or without any help from BookMacster.  (Pretty amazing that something like that could have gotten out the door.!)  There is a newer Developer Preview now available from Apple, but I've not tested it yet.

If neither of these two issues explain the problem you're seeing, please run and send us a Trouble Zipper report.  To do that, activate BookMacster,  click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper and follow the instructions.  When you are asked whether or not to include your Chrome bookmarks and BookMacster .bkmslf document, click Include.  Maybe there is something in your data which is triggering the crash.  Also, attach the crash report from Chrome.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Kristy
Chrome isn't Playing Well
Dec 13th, 2014 at 3:13am
Print Post  
I'm running 1.22.25 version of BookMacster.  When I run an Import or Export, I'm getting a "Google Chrome quit unexpectedly."  I'm running version 39.0.2171.95.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Chrome extensions but that didn't seem to help.  And when I run a Test on the Chrome extension, it returns a "No response from Chrome".

Do you know what's going on?

Thanks,
Kristy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint