Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 95041 Error for Chrome (Read 5199 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: 95041 Error for Chrome
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Gregg,

Sorry I didn't notice your post yesterday for some reason.  But thank you very much for going above and beyond the call of duty and troubleshooting the problem.  We'll throw that emoticon at our JSON parser and see what happens!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

GreggK
Re: 95041 Error for Chrome
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I am always halfway embarrassed when I ask a question on a forum and then plug away and find the answer on my own. The culprit seems to be the use of an emoticon in the page name for a single bookmark. Chrome could handle it. Safari could handle it. And when the two apps exchanged bookmark libraries all went well. Also, I was able to "validate" Chrome's JSON bookmarks file using an open source utility. (I know nothing about JSON--I just ran the app and got the result). Perhaps BookMacster's JSON parser may have an issue with emoticons in page titles or other rogue characters. I will admit that while I was cleaning up bookmarks, I deleted some foreign characters and trademark (™) symbols here and there as well. But these had not been a problem in the past--just this fairly recent bookmark. The offending HTML page title was:

<string>☠ Bloody Sunday ⚠️</string>   

that is the title of the linked Pinterest page.

GreggK

IP Logged

GreggK
95041 Error for Chrome
Mar 6th, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I am using Chrome version 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit) under Mac OS X 10.2.2 with BookMacster v BookMacster 1.22.34. Chrome is my default browser.

I mostly use BookMacster to sync bookmarks to my other browsers, Safari, Firefox and Opera. BookMacster is set to Import from Chrome, and then to export to the other browsers.

Recently I have noticed that Chrome’s Bookmarks file cannot be imported by BookMacster and Error: 95041 is thrown. This is an error reading the JSON file and that BookMacster could not decode the file.

I have tried directly importing the bookmarks from Chrome to Safari and that works perfectly. I can then delete the Chrome bookmark file, promote Safari to the top, import all bookmarks from Safari, and then export them to Chrome and others and this works fine. However, if I open Chrome and then close it immediately without making any changes, I get the 95042 error again when trying to import from or export to the chrome bookmarks file.

I have done extensive cleanup of the Chrome bookmarks file, deleted duplicates, run verifications, etc. I have even removed many folders of bookmarks. The file now contains about 1100 bookmarks. I have also worked with a very simplified version with no folder and only 50 bookmarks. I have seen nothing in the console log. Finally, Chrome has no trouble at all reading its own bookmarks file; nor do other browsers seem to have problems exporting to or importing from Chrome.

I am not sure how to proceed as I have reached the end of my troubleshooting knowledge and tricks. Any help welcome.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint