Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Favorites bar question (Read 4070 times)
tkvalleau
Re: Favorites bar question
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Ah well. Thanks, Jerry and (almost) Happy New Year Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Favorites bar question
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Hello tkvall,

No, you have not missed anything.  A couple years ago I spent many hours trying to make a menu open on command from within an application, but Apple provides no way.  That Status Item up there is a menu, like any other menu, so there would be no way to click that from within the app either.

One way that should work is to write an AppleScript similar to the one given in this post.  You could trigger an AppleScript with a keyboard shortcut, so it would be very cool.  But alas that does not work either, probably for the same reason as why hitting the F8 key (if you've enabled it in System Preferences > Keynoard > Shortcuts > Keyboard > Move focus to Status Menus) only works for Menu Extras presented by Apple apps (Time Machine, WiFi, Battery, Clock, etc.) but not those (technically called Status Items) presented by non-Apple apps like BookMacster.

It's one of those annoyances that we are forced to live with by choosing the platform that is good and reliable but stubborn.

All you can do is send an email to Tim Cook (president of Apple) and ask him to please read and heed Apple Bug 15499730  which I titled Accessibility: Blind or Mouseless users cannot use Status Items and filed in 2013 on Nov 18.  But you see the "15" prefix on the bug number is 15 million, and the last time I looked they were up to 22 million.
Sad

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

tkvalleau
Favorites bar question
Dec 29th, 2015 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Hi 
In BookMacstser, I have 3 folders: Favorites Bar; Bookmarks menu and Reading list folders. Each of these in turn  has any number of directories containing either bookmarks or more directories. I have just under 3000 bookmarks.
I love being able to sync to Safari and Chrome (nothing I could do would make BM work with Firefox 43.0.2 unforunately) and use my Favorites bar in each. (I almost never use the other two.)

Now, in the finder's menubar little icon for BM, (where mini search resides) I have these same three categories, of cousre. But my issue is this: there doesn't seem to be any way to keep the Favorites Bar category open, and showing the folders and items within it. So using the menubar icon for BM becomes -harder- (more steps) than accessing the "real" favorites bar in the browsers.

For example,  in favorites, I have one folder named "Daily" and it's a list of sites I visit very often.
In the browser, I click on "Daily" and up pops a list of my bookmarks. One click and one select.

However, using the BM finder's menubar icon, I have to 1) click on the icon; 2) click on Favorites Bar; 3) click on Dialy and 4) click on the bookmark.
Four steps instead of two.

This could be fixed if the Favorites bar folder could be left open under the menubar icon.

Yes, I could move all the favorites out of the favorites bar withinin BM, but of course that would completely screw up actual browser syncing, and I'd lose my Favorites bar in the browsers themselves.

Said an other way, I'd like the contents of my Favorites Bar to be "in-lined" (or at least visible) in the little menubar icon in the finder when it first is invoked.

If I've missed how to do that, Please tell me, else may I suggest that the menubar icon dropdown menu mirror the expanded/collapsed state of the listing as it shows in BM?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint