Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Safari won't add bookmarks because its busy synchs (Read 3933 times)
Eric Weir
Re: Safari won't add bookmarks because its busy synchs
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the response, Jerry. I've printed it out and will follow through on the suggestions next time I experience the problem on my iPad. (I think to reproduce the problem I need only need delete one item and then try to delete a second item. Almost always when I do that I get the "Safari is busy syncing" message.)

For now I have dealt with the problem by avoiding deleting Safari bookmarks on the iPad and do it on my MacBook instead, where I never have this problem.

Back later.

Eric

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Safari won't add bookmarks because its busy synchs
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Hello, Eric.

Thank you for contacting us.  This certainly should not happen frequently, and you are the first user I remember reporting this happening on an iOS device.

To see when Smarky was active, you can launch Smarky and click in the menu: Smarky > Logs.  However, even if Smarky was active at e time in question, it may have acting appropriately.  This is because there are 3 actors — Safari, iCloud and Smarky, all watching and possibly changing your Safari bookmarks file.  When one of them touches the file, the other two react by looking for changes.  So it is difficult to determine who started it.

Normally, those logs should indicate several dozen entries, spanning over a period of several minutes, any time that you change any bookmark in either Safari (Mac or iPad).  At other times, those logs should have no entries.  If those logs indicate that Smarky is being active constantly whenever you are logged in to your Mac, something is indeed wrong.

If you see such constant activity, launch Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor and type SafariDAV into the filter field at the top.  Put the window of to the corner of your screen so you can keep an eye on it while you do other stuff.  Whenever you see SafariDAVClient pop into the list, it means that iCloud is busy syncing your bookmarks.

If SafariDAVClient seems to be unnecessarily active, switch off Syncing in Smarky and see if that "fixes" it.

Hmmm , this post is becoming a TLDNR.  Tell us what you find and we shall go further.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Eric Weir
Safari won't add bookmarks because its busy synchs
Aug 8th, 2016 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Frequently when I attempt to add an item to Safari bookmarks on my iPad I get a message telling me the item can't be added because "Safari is busy synching bookmarks." The message usually persists and I have to for a new iPad session to add bookmarks.

Is this a result of something Smarky is doing or is it specific to Safari on the iPad. (I never have the problem on OS X Safari.) Whatever, is there a fix?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint